Advanced Light Microscopy FacilityServices
- Assisting all EMBL groups and visitors throughout the process of microscopic imaging: planning of a project, sample preparation, staining, selection and use of the microscope, image processing, presentation, data transfer and storage.
- High-content screening
- Providing expertise on cutting edge microscopy technology and on equipment of the leading industrial manufacturers to EMBL and to facilities in partner states via ELMI (European Light Microscopy Initiative).
- Building a platform for communication between ‘high end’ users and manufacturers of microscopy equipment.
- Organizing courses and conferences (different EMBO courses per year).
- Facilitating hands on evaluation of equipment
- Developing accessory software and microscopy equipment (co-developments with industrial partners, pre-evaluation of commercial equipment).
Mode of operation
Leading manufacturers of microscopy equipment are providing their latest developments. The ALMF introduces this new equipment and technology to EMBL scientists and visitors and provides means to handle samples and image data.
This partnership gives scientists the opportunity to use and evaluate first class equipment for their experiments and at the same time gives the industrial providers the opportunity to present and evaluate their equipment in the scientifically highly skilled and advanced surrounding of the leading European Institute of molecular biology research.
The function of the ALMF is to provide all means to maximize the output from this partnership.
Industrial co-operations are evaluated every year.