Advanced Light Microscopy FacilityServices
- Assisting all EMBL groups and visitors throughout the process of microscopic imaging:
planning of a project, sample preparation, selection and usage of the microscope, image processing and visualisation, data transfer and storage.
- In collaboration with our technology partners we offer and support advanced microscopy techniques
- Optical sectioning: confocal and two-photon laser scanning microscopes, spinning disk microscopy, total internal reflection (TIRF)
- Molecular dynamics and interactions: FRAP, FRET, FLIM, FCS
- Super-resolution: 3D single-molecule localisation (GSDIM / dSTORM) and 3D gated stimulated emission depletion (gSTED)
- Laser nanosurgery: Pulsed lasers, which are focused diffraction limited on the sample can be used to cut fine intracellular structures (e.g. actin or microtubules). The laser is positioned on the sample by a scanner. It can be also used on larger structures like to ablate groups of cells.
- Photo-activation, photo-uncaging
- We assist our users in all aspects of high-throughput microscopy
- We offer commercial and customised open source image and data analysis software.
- Facilitating hands on evaluation of equipment in collaboration with technology partners.
- Developing accessory software and microscopy equipment (co-developments with industrial partners, pre-evaluation of commercial equipment).
- Organising courses (different EMBO courses per year).
- Useful links and downloads concerning microscopy and image analysis.