The facility provides key services, such as sorting heterogeneous cell populations into homogeneous populations based on fluorescence. Typical profile of CRISPR-Cas9 genome edited mES cell lines for single cell sorting.
The goal of the facility is to proactively introduce flow cytometric methods into new research areas while supporting and extending current research.
We offer a wide range of flow cytometric techniques, hands on service, data analysis and tailored training sessions for users. Our specialised equipment adds flexibility in the preparation and execution of experiments, allowing tailored approaches to addressing scientific problems. Our facility strives to meet researchers’ specific needs by providing dedicated help with experimental design, enabling the highest possible resolution in terms of analysis and product.
We work with equipment from Beckman Coulter, Cytopeia Inc., Becton Dickinson, Union Biometrica, Coherent Inc., and Miltenyi Biotec. We are open to testing new technological developments to best serve the needs of the scientific community.
Major projects and accomplishments
- High-throughput sorting of tissue-specific nuclei from Drosophila melanogaster embryo as a preparative step in the analysis of genome regulatory activity during tissue development.
- Establishment of clonal cell lines carrying fluorescent protein-tagged genome-edited genes for 4D life cell imaging, and assessment of protein interactions and concentrations during mitosis.
- Large scale sorting of protoplasts carrying multiple fluorescence reporter constructs for RNAseq.
- Single cell sorting of high efficiencies for single cell quantitative genome, transcriptome, CRISPR/Cas9 genome editing and in vitro studies.
- Establishing of in-house training courses for cytometry data analysis and, from 2016 onwards, annual theoretical and practical flow cytometry courses in cooperation with the German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ) and Becton Dickinson.
- Complex multi-colour analysis of cell populations based on light scatter, fluorescent probes content and light intensities (including polarisation).
- Full service sorting of rare populations out of a heterogeneous sample. Cell cloning, particle enrichment and high purity bulk sorts.
- Providing EMBL scientific staff with expertise in flow cytometric techniques required in their research projects.
- Providing our researchers with advice and dedicated training sessions in the use of flow cytometry, instrument operation and post-acquisition data analysis.
- Developing novel flow cytometric techniques to meet EMBL’s diverse scientific needs.