If your question is not answered below, please contact the Library.
1. Where do I get Library information when I am new at EMBL?
Short introduction session are held twice monthly, usually at 15.00 on the 1st and 3rd Friday of a month. Newcomers to EMBL will be invited per e-mail, but everybody can join. Information about the library is available on the library webpage as well as in the library guide.
2. How can I contact the librarians?
For the contact details and address please have a look at the Contact page.
3. Who is allowed to use the Library?
EMBL staff can use the Library during the opening hours and after hours by using the EMBL access card. External visitors have to register in the Library Office during the opening hours. Visitors agree not to use licensed electronic resources of the library; please, contact the librarians for further information (see also library guide). Visitors can use the library as a reference library only, but they can copy material, the following prices apply:
Prices for photocopies:
1. Black and white photocopies:
- A4: EUR 0.05
- A3: EUR 0.10
2. Colour photocopies:
- A4: EUR 0.50
- A3: EUR 1.00
4. When do I have access to the Library?
Monday - Thursday: 9:00 - 17:30
Friday: 9:00 - 16:30
EMBL staff may use the Library after hours by using their EMBL access card.
5. How can I access the Library Web Catalogue?
You can access the Library catalogue here.
6. How often is the Library Web Catalogue updated?
The library catalogue is updated weekly. You can check the latest additions to the collection here. After selecting a time period a results list will display. You can subsribe to this search per RRS feed, subscribe via the RSS-feed link at them bottom of the results page.
7. What does the Library Web Catalogue offer?
The Library catalogue contains the following record types: books, monographic series and their parts, annual reports, conference series, journals, EMBL theses, CD-ROMs, ebooks. databases and audiovisual material.
8. How do I get a personal account & what can I do with it?
You can log on to your Library Personal Account by providing your EMBL login ID and a password which you create the first time you log in. You can choose any password you like - and the first time you will be asked to verify this password.
If you receive the message "Invalid user name please try again" please contact the Library and give us your login user name, we will then activate an account for you.
Your library account gives you access to the following services:
Order material form: you can submit requests like article and/or book orders.
Transactions: provides an overview of your open orders as well as items that you have borrowed.
Reservations: displays your active reservations that were placed on items.
Favorites: a list of items that you have tagged as favorites in the catalogue.
Profile: your library account profile.
Your saved searches: a list of searches which you have saved for future use.
9. I have found some items in the Library Web Catalogue. Where can I find them in the Library?
The media are freely accessible in the Szilárd Library. The books are in a systematic order, sorted in sections A to T, and the print journals and series are in alphabetical order. Older journals and books are stored in the archive and can be retrieved at request.
If you are interested in a record you can click on its title and you will be redirected to the specific item’s detailed record; there every book record has a note saying 'call number' indicating the classmark , eg. 'L1 Gil'. The first part describes the section in the Library, the second indicates the position of the book within the section. Each copy of the specific title holds information on its status i.e. whether it is available or not.
10. Which Library items can be borrowed?
Books, series, EMBL theses, CD-ROMs and some reference books (self-guided learning) for a period of four weeks. Bound or unbound journals may not be borrowed! Please don't forget to return all Library items when you leave EMBL.
11. The Library item I want to borrow is not on the shelf. What should I do?
The Library item you are looking for has been borrowed by someone else, or it may be misplaced or even missing. In any case, please contact the librarians, and they will try to locate the item for you.
12. How do I check out a book?
For information how to check out a book see the 'Borrowing' page on the library webpage.
13. How do I return borrowed Library items?
Please put the books /CD-ROMs you want to return into the book return box next to the entrance or bring them to the Library office. The librarians will remove them from your account and reshelf them.
14. How can I reserve a borrowed book?
The catalogue entry will tell you if the copy you are after is currently borrowed by some other user. If that is the case next to the record there will be a link Reserve me. Click on the link and follow the procedure.
15. How can I cancel an order or a book reservation?
Via your library account, service Reservations, you can edit and/or cancel reservations.
16. How can I extend the loan period?
The loan period of Library items can be renewed if the items are not reserved / requested by another user. You can renew the loan period using your personal Library account, or contact the Library.
17. What happens if I damage or lose a book?
Borrowers are responsible for all material borrowed, and if it is lost or badly damaged you will be responsible for replacing the material. We do understand that accidents can happen, so please come and talk to the librarians if something unfortunate does happen to one of the books in your possession.
18. What should I do if I need to scan an article or if I need slides of an article of a bound or unbound journal?
The Canon colour printer is also a scanner. Step by step instructions are provided near to the machine (posted on the window) which allows you to save a file to a USB stick or send it to an EMBL e-mail account.
19. Which classification system does the Szilárd Library use?
The Library currently uses an internal classification scheme, for more information check here.
20. How can I make suggestions regarding ordering books and other media for the Szilárd Library?
Just make a suggestion using the online ordering system on our webpage or just send us the details by email.
21. What should I do if I'd like to order books for my group or for myself?
Again, just use the online ordering system on our webpage.
22. Can I request a book that is not available in the Szilárd Library from another Library?
Yes, you can. We order books from other libraries through inter-Library loan. Just order it using the online ordering system on our webpage. Usually, the books are delivered within a few days.
23. Can I ask for a photocopy of a journal article or a photocopy of a patent that is not available in the Szilárd Library?
Yes, you can. We can order photocopies of articles and patents which are not available in the Szilárd Library. Just order it using the online ordering system on our webpage. Please, read the information on document delivery in the library guide beforehand.
24. Where can I find international newspapers?
You can find the daily national and international newspapers near the Library entrance. We keep the old newspapers for one week in the photo-copier room.
25. How do I access electronic publications / e-journals / e-books?
26. How do I get the impact factors of journals?
We have online access to the Journal Citation Reports. On the Web of Science search screen go click on the tab 'journal citation reports' at the top.