Tara Oceans scienceResearch Teams
PANGAEA – Data Publisher for Earth and Environmental Sciences, Germany
The Centre for Marine Environmental Sciences (MARUM) at the University of Bremen, in collaboration with the Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research (AWI) operates PANGAEA, the Data Publisher for Earth & Environmental Science as a permanent facility. Essential services supplied by PANGAEA are scientific project data management, long-term data archiving, data publication, and data dissemination. Data management includes quality control of metadata and the development of ontologies and vocabularies according to international protocols and standards. PANGAEA holds mandates from ICSU (World Data Centre for Marine Environmental Sciences - WDC-MARE) and WMO (World Radiation Monitoring Center - WRMC).
Dr. Stéphane Pesant is a biological oceanographer. PhD at Laval University, Québec (1999), working on plankton food webs and their associated biogeochemical carbon fluxes. He was scientific advisor for Marine Ecosystem Health and assistant to Jake Rice (stock assessments) at the Department of Fisheries & Oceans Canada, Ottawa (2000-01); Postdoc at the University of Western Australia, Perth (2002-04); and assistant to the Scientific Director of FP6-NoE-Eur-OCEANS, Villefranche/Mer (2005-09) for which he coordinated data integration in close collaboration with WDC-MARE / PANGAEA®. Since 2009, he joined PANGAEA and is involved in the integration of scientific data for several European, national and international projects, including EUR-OCEANS, EuroMarine, Tara-OCEANS, CoralFISH, EuroBASIN, MicroB3, EPOCA, BioAcid and MedSeA.
- Pesant, S. (guest editor) Earth System Science Data (Copernicus) - Special Issue: MAREDAT – Towards a world atlas of marine plankton functional types; http://www.earth-syst-sci-data-discuss.net/special_issue9.html
- Karsenti E, Acinas SG, Bork P, Bowler C, De Vargas C, et al. (2011) A Holistic Approach to Marine Ecosystems Biology. PLoS Biol 9(10): e1001177. doi:10.1371/journal.pbio.1001177
- Pesant S., Hook, L., Lowry, R., Moncoiffé, G., Nisumaa, A.-M., Pfeil, B. 2010. Safeguarding and sharing Ocean Acidification Data. In Riebesell U., Fabry V. J., Hansson L. & Gattuso J.-P. (Eds.), Guide to best practices for ocean acidification research and data reporting, 260 p. Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union.
1 postdoc with a strong experience in marine bioinformatics, and a clear interest in organising scientific knowledge and facilitating its integration, rather than pursuing a research career. The postdoc will develop ontologies and standard vocabularies across the fields of marine ecology and marine genomics, in collaboration with EMBL-EBI.
For application, please send your CV to Stéphane.
- Postdoc Opportunities Postdoc opportunities with Tara partner institutions
- EMBL and TARA OCEANS Hear about EMBL's role in the Tara Oceans Expedition