Laboratoire de Physique des Oceans (LPO) UMR6523 CNRS/IFREMER/IRD/UBO
Institut Universitaire Européen de la Mer (IUEM), Université de Bretagne Occidentale
École Normale Supérieure, Département de Géosciences, Laboratoire de Météorologie Dynamique, UMR 8539 ENS-CNRS- École Polytechnique, France
The scientific activity of LPO is organized around three main research themes:
- mechanisms of ocean dynamics, the sub-mesoscale to basin scale;
- climate change: role of the ocean and impacts of the thermohaline circulation;
- understanding of trade "offshore-coastal" regionalization to address the impacts of climate change on ecosystems and margins.
To carry out its research activities the LPO has the ability
- to implement campaigns for oceanographic process studies and monitoring of ocean variability, with the possible implementation of specific technological developments;
- to ensure the development and implementation of technical validation, analysis and quantification of statistical data "historic" or "real time" basis from which the laboratory or global databases;
- to develop and implement numerical codes capable of simulating the ocean in an idealized way (for process studies and studies of how the ocean) or realistic (for simulations of the ocean response to climate variability climate and regional impacts).
- Arhan, M., S. Speich, C. Messager, G. Dencausse, R. A. Fine, and M. Boye (2011), Anticyclonic and cyclonic eddies of subtropical origin in the subantarctic zone south of Africa, J. Geophys. Res., doi:10.1029/2011JC007140.
- Dencausse, G., M. Arhan, S. Speich, 2011: Is there a continuous Subtropical Front south of Africa ?, J. Geophys. Res., 116, p. 14. doi:10.1029/2010JC006587.
- González-Dávila, M., Santana-Casiano, J. M., Fine, R. A., Happell, J., Delille, B., and Speich, S.: Carbonate system in the water masses of the Southeast Atlantic sector of the Southern Ocean during February and March 2008, Biogeosciences, 8, 1401-1413, doi:10.5194/bg-8-1401-2011, 2011.
- Swart, S., S. Speich, 2010: A satellite altimetry based Gravest Empirical Mode South of Africa. Part II: 1992-2008 Heat, Salt and Mass Transport variability and changes. J. Geophys. Res., 115, C03003, doi:10.1029/2009JC005300.
- Chever, F., E. Bucciarelli, G. Sarthou, S. Speich, M. Arhan, P. Penven, and A. Tagliabue (2010), Physical speciation of iron in the Atlantic sector of the Southern Ocean along a transect from the subtropical domain to the Weddell Sea Gyre, J. Geophys. Res., 115, C10059, doi:10.1029/2009JC005880.