Coffee with EMBL
Coffee with EMBL offers an informal online space for members of the EMBL community to connect, share and debate, providing participants access to outstanding scientists and thought leaders.
It is hosted by EMBL and moderated by former Group Leader and Senior Scientist, Angus Lamond, now Professor of Biochemistry, University of Dundee.
Opinions expressed by speakers are their own and are not necessarily representative of the views of EMBL. Please see below for full disclaimer.
Friday 12 March 2021: what is allyship, and how can you be an ally?
|Friday 16 October 2020: infection biology
Guests: Maria Bernabeu, Raffaele de Francesco, Freddy Frischknecht, Jan Kosinski
Watch | Resources and chat transcript
|Friday 18 September 2020: science and society
Guests: Freddy Frischknecht, Giorgia Guglielmi, Lucia von Bredow
|Friday 19 June 2020
Guests: Patricia Kahn, Olivia Steele-Mortimer, Nassos Typas, Matthias Wilmanns
|Friday 5 June 2020
Guests: Ennio De Gregorio, Ishaan Gupta, Michael Levitt
|Friday 22 May 2020
Guests: Stephen Cusack, Carmen Fernández Alonso, Peter Rottier, Graham Tebb
|Friday 8 May 2020
Guests: Rolf Apweiler, Wei-Hua Chen, Mariano Maffei, Vicent Pelechano, Angelo Raggioli, Xiushan Yin
Oops - we spilt our coffee this time! (no video available due to technical issues)
|Friday 24 April 2020
Guests: Fátima Gebauer, Cornelius Gross, Matthias Hentze, James Sharpe
What is Coffee with EMBL?
- Coffee with EMBL is an informal online space hosted by EMBL for its global community to regularly connect.
- Each one-hour session will feature special guests, giving you access to outstanding scientists and thought leaders.
- Gain an insight into the latest developments at EMBL and raise suggestions and comments.
- Build networks and seek supporters and collaborators easily, effectively and enjoyably.
“Coffee with EMBL has been very helpful in showing us the potential of EMBL and its community, the diversity of people's profiles and expertise, as well as their strong commitment to come together to face crisis situations."
Carmen Fernández Alonso, Postdoc, Center for Biological Research, Spanish National Research Council (CIB-CSIC), Spain
Highlights of Coffee with EMBL...
Do you have a suggestion for a future Coffee with EMBL topic or speaker? All feedback is appreciated. Please email email@example.com.
Making the most of Zoom
- Once in the meeting, you may switch between ‘speaker view’ and ‘gallery view’ in the top right-hand corner of the screen. Gallery view enables you to see up to 40 participants at once, and is our suggested viewing mode.
- Click on ‘participants’ on the toolbar at the foot of the window to see a list of meeting participants in the menu on the right-hand-side. Here, you can edit the way your name appears. We encourage you to add your organisation in brackets after your name (by hovering over your name, and selecting ‘more’ – ‘rename’).
- If you would like to contribute to the discussion, please click ‘Raise Hand’ in the menu on the right-hand-side (at the foot of the participants list). The moderator will introduce you and unmute you, time permitting.
- To see and partake in the text chat alongside the meeting, click on ‘chat’ at the foot of the window. Chat will appear in the menu on the right-hand-side. This is optional as it can be distracting.
- There will often be an opportunity to vote in the meeting. To take part, click ‘yes’ or ‘no’ (at the foot of the participants list).
- You can add or change your virtual background in advance of the meeting. Within Zoom preferences, click ‘Virtual Background’. We encourage you to be creative! (e.g. a local landscape, your organisation or an old EMBL photo).
Coffee with EMBL contributors are members of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) community. The opinions expressed are their own and are not necessarily representative of the views of EMBL or any other party. Contributions are not edited or moderated in advance by anyone but the individual speakers. The mere appearance of video content on the EMBL website does not constitute an endorsement by EMBL.