|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years|
|Grading:||3 or 4, depending on experience and qualifications|
|Closing Date:||18 March 2018|
EMBO stands for excellence in the life sciences. We enable the best science by supporting talented researchers, stimulating scientific exchange and advancing policies for a world-class European research environment. EMBO Press publishes four prestigious scientific research journals: The EMBO Journal, EMBO reports, Molecular Systems Biology and EMBO Molecular Medicine.
EMBO is seeking an Editorial Assistant to join the editorial team responsible for the publication of the EMBO Press scientific research journals. The assistant is expected to have excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. The successful candidate will work in a highly dynamic environment and deal with confidential information. The candidate is expected to work as part of a team in a proactive, organized, detail-oriented and highly reliable manner. Experience with word processing is essential. Experience with scientific editing and a good working knowledge of Excel and Photoshop software is desirable. A basic knowledge of biology and the scientific process is an advantage. The Assistant reports to the EMBO Press Coordinator.
- Supporting the editors in administering the editorial process on manuscripts submitted to the journal. This includes manuscript tracking, quality control, author and referee communication, as well as maintaining an efficient editorial pipeline
- Updating and maintaining the journal database; uploading new submissions and appeals; logging and resolving problems with the database; assisting authors with manuscript submission
- Checking and responding to incoming emails from authors, reviewers, editorial advisors and production staff
- Creating peer review process files for accepted manuscripts. Quality control of figures and text and screening for adherence to ethics and scientific integrity guidelines
- Transferring accepted manuscripts to the publisher
- Filing and online archiving of manuscripts and associated documentation
- Cover for assistants for the above duties when they are out of the office
- Carrying out other functions for EMBO Press as requested by the Head or Deputy Head of EMBO Publications or the Director of EMBO
This position will occasionally require working outside of the normal working hours, in the evenings and/or during the weekend.
Qualifications and Experience
Experience working in a service-oriented environment is essential (preferably in an international and/or scientific environment.)
The successful candidate will:
- have at least two years relevant administrative experience
- have a third-level qualification
- have strong interpersonal and communication skills
- have an excellent command of written and spoken English
- be highly organized, reliable and able to prioritize and multi-task effectively
- have a sound working knowledge of current office software
- have the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- observe confidentiality
- strive for high quality of work and be aware of the aims and standards of the organization
- have a positive attitude and customer service focus.
- experience with image processing and related software (e.g. Photoshop) is desirable
- English language editing, subediting or copyediting experience is desirable, in particular scientific editing
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs
The EMBO offices are located on the international EMBL life science research campus in Heidelberg, Germany. Heidelberg, home to around 150,000 people, is a vibrant university city offering high quality of life. EMBO offers attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international science organisation. The remuneration and benefits package comprises a competitive salary, a pension scheme, health insurance, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation. EMBO shows consideration for the needs of its employees who are raising children, and is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.