|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||5 years|
|Grading:||6, 7 or 8; depending on qualification and experience|
|Closing Date:||28 February 2018|
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations worldwide. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Barcelona (Spain), Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton near Cambridge (UK) and Rome (Italy).
The successful candidate will report to the Head of Finance and key responsibilities are:
- Payroll management
- Coordination and management of all payroll activity covering German, French, Italian, Spanish and UK payrolls and administration of normal monthly payrolls (including month end consolidation and processing support as required). All payrolls are based on net to gross calculation methodologies.
- Checking and review of all payroll preparation to ensure compliance with EMBL rules and regulations and appropriate national requirements.
- Calculation, payment and reconciliation of internal payroll tax.
- Liaison with management, staff and external bodies regarding payroll enquiries.
- Preparation and reconciliation of monthly General Ledger salary journals.
- Development and maintenance of the payroll reference manual.
- Annual update of salary rates and other standing payroll data in SAP.
- Social Security
- Updating SAP for changes in EMBL’s internal social security and insurance schemes: pension, health insurance, unemployment insurance.
- Updating SAP for changes in German, UK and French social security schemes.
- Reporting and Project Work
- Leading the development and delivery of all payroll based reporting primarily through SAP based tools, including Business Intelligence.
- Management of all EMBL Council reporting pertinent to the EMBL wide payroll.
Management of projects to ensure the optimisation of payroll processes.
- Running and updating payroll planning information.
- Preparation of ad hoc reports as required.
- Testing payroll system upgrades.
In addition to payroll duties, the postholder will also work part time in the Budget Office and in that regard report to the Head of Budget Office. Tasks will include:
- Oversight and control of the financial management of a range of EMBL’s scientific research projects, including financial planning, budget preparation and monitoring expenditure against budget.
- Support of scientific and administrative staff in managing projects.
- Management of the entire timesheet process at EMBL, including control and posting of the monthly timesheet bookings, and addressing all other timesheet related issues.
- Support to grant holders in regards their financial management of grants, grant financial compliance and preparation and submission of financial reports.
- Supporting the Head of Budget Office in the management and development of other Budget office staff.
- Management of SAP cost centre master data, including creation, maintenance and control.
- Training and mentoring of junior Finance staff.
Qualifications and Experience
Educated to university level and/or demonstrated equivalent qualification by experience.
- Demonstrated payroll management experience.
- Demonstrable experience in net to gross payroll calculations
- Comprehensive knowledge of the SAP payroll module, in particular the German country version. Experience with the French and British country versions is a major advantage.
- Formal accountancy qualifications and an advanced knowledge of budgeting, costing and financial management.
- Demonstrated project management experience.
- Excellent communication skills in a multi-national and cultural environment.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Demonstrated staff management and development experience.
- Very good problem-solving, numerical and analytical skills.
- Ability to work flexibly and to tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated customer service focus and proactive and forward thinking approach.
- Excellent written and spoken English and German language skills, knowledge of French is an advantage.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises from a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.