|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years (renewable)|
|Grading:||6 or 7; depending on qualification and experience|
|Closing Date:||28 February 2018|
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations in the world. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Barcelona (Spain), Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton near Cambridge (UK), Rome (Italy).
The Electronic Workshop team at EMBL Heidelberg is involved in the design, construction, feasibility testing and implementation of electronic equipment required by the in-house researchers. The team has a long experience in designing and building of new equipment for life sciences applications and is therefore well prepared to interact with the scientists. The electronic workshop closely collaborates with the Mechanical Workshop and is therefore able to deliver user-friendly and state of the art scientific equipment.
The responsibilities of the Head of Electronic Workshop are:
- Perform overall quality control of the work inclusive budget, schedule, plans and personnel’s performance.
- Managing a small team of engineers.
- Provide strong leadership for the staff in terms of best practices and ambitious, yet achievable, concepts to ensure the resulting products are best in class.
- Develop and build new challenging user demanded equipment for life sciences applications in a small team.
- Managing budgets and a store of electronic parts and measurement instruments.
- Working closely with the equivalent Head of Mechanical Workshop and the Drawing Office.
- The post holder reports to the Head of Core Facilities and Scientific Services.
- Motivate team members to participate on advanced training.
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate has:
- university degree in engineering electronics or equivalent relevant experience;
- excellent knowledge in digital and analogue electronic design as well as basic knowledge and skills in mechanical aspects of a project design;
- excellent knowledge and experience in modern microcontroller, SOC, SOM and FPGA Hard - and Software development as well as in higher software languages (e.g. C, C++, Labview);
- proficiency in CAD applications like Altium, excellent knowledge in MS Office is mandatory;
- at least five years practical experience in a similar position;
- excellent ability to manage and organise the work of a small team is mandatory;
- strong communication skills (fluency in English and a good working knowledge of German) and ability to work in a highly collaborative international atmosphere.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises from a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.