|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years|
|Grading:||4, 5 or 6; depending on qualification and experience|
|Closing Date:||25 February 2018|
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations worldwide. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Barcelona (Spain), Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton near Cambridge (UK) and Rome (Italy).
We are looking for a Grants Officer to join us at the European Molecular Biology Laboratory in Heidelberg, Germany. The Grants Services Team assists scientists in procuring funding for research projects from a variety of external sources. The post holder will report directly to the Head of Grants Services and will have a broad range of responsibilities concerning EMBL’s external research funding including, but not limited to, the following:
- Looking after the grants needs of a group of EMBL scientists;
- Ensuring deadlines at every stage of the grant process are met;
- Ensuring that grant applications comply with EMBL internal rules and funding body guidelines
- Identifying sources of funding, liaising with grant-giving bodies;
- Informing the scientists and other administrators about funding opportunities, eligibility, procedures and deadlines;
- Supporting the scientists in developing applications - particularly in the Budget and Administrative sections;
- Providing support during the run-time of externally funded projects to help fulfil reporting obligations and other aspects of project management as necessary;
- Reviewing contracts, consortium agreements and other documents, initiating contract amendments;
- Liaising with administrative colleagues in scientific units, HR and legal departments and at the various EMBL sites;
- Routine office duties such as the input of database information, dealing with correspondence, maintenance grant-related intranet information, maintenance of funders’ information and rules, especially as these affect EMBL.
The job holder will also be expected to cover for colleagues during absences and to keep themselves informed about the terms and conditions of a wide range of different grant-giving bodies.
Qualifications and Experience
Candidates should have at least two years grants administration experience, preferably including project management, gained in a scientific or international environment. They should also have demonstrable skills in reviewing legal documents. Ideally, the post holder has worked in an organization of a size comparable to the EMBL. The successful applicant will be computer literate and have good working knowledge of Excel, Word and Outlook. Knowledge of Research Information Systems would be an advantage. The abilities to work within a team and to tight deadlines, to manage a wide workload and use initiative are essential.
The candidate should be educated to degree level and preferably to PhD level, in a science related subject, and should be fluent in English and German.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises from a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.