|Contract Duration:||6 months|
|Closing Date:||18 March 2018|
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations worldwide. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Barcelona (Spain), Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton near Cambridge (UK) and Rome (Italy).
EMBL is looking for a highly motivated and enthusiastic graphic designer. As a graphic arts disciple, you know the power behind visual design. The European Molecular Biology Laboratory offers you the opportunity to take your creative talent to the next level. You will work closely with our Art Director within the Strategy and Communications team to create materials for both digital and offline channels. Our team values graphic design interns for their strong design sensibility and promotes their professional development during the term.
What you will gain from an internship:
- Learn to meet daily, weekly, and long-term deadlines in a very dynamic and inspiring environment
- Mentorship from our experienced Art Director, learning how to apply design theory in a busy in-house communications
- Build a broad portfolio of work
- Gain unique experience within an international research environment
What you will do:
- Collaborate with the Strategy and Communications team and support campaigns with design solutions
- Create graphics and design layouts for print ads, flyers, email newsletters, the EMBL website, blog, and social media accounts
- Incorporate UI/UX best practices in website design and layout, and adapt designs for different formats
- Illustrations for cover pitches and graphical abstracts
Qualifications and Experience
Successful candidates will come to the role with a strong background in graphic arts:
- Prior experience creating graphics and a solid grasp of design concepts
- Comfort working in Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator
- Illustration skills are an advantage
- Enthusiasm for the design process and attentiveness to different project goals
- Ability to work in collaborative group environment
- Ability to juggle multiple projects
- Creative thinker
- Proactive, self-starter, good work ethic
- Creative problem solver
An excellent command of spoken and written English is required; knowledge of other languages, particularly French, German, Italian or Spanish, is a plus. A passion for science is advantageous.
We are looking to cover a 39 hour working week, Monday to Friday. This six month position comes with a stipend up to a maximum of 780 EUR per month and accommodation can be provided if needed.
We’d love to have you join the team! To apply, send us a cover letter, resume, and a sample of your design work. Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs