|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||5 years (renewable)|
|Grading:||5 or 6; depending on qualification and experience|
|Closing Date:||8 April 2018|
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations worldwide. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Barcelona (Spain), Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton near Cambridge (UK) and Rome (Italy).
The Human Resources Department is responsible to deliver high quality HR services to all EMBL personnel of approx. 1800 from over 80 nations working at EMBL Headquarters and its sites. Under the responsibility of the Senior HR Officer, you will be part of the HR Advisors team, and administer assigned EMBL functional units at its headquarters and/or sites and participate in HR related projects. Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provide advice on all aspects of compensation and benefits to staff and managers of different EMBL functional units both at its headquarters and sites.
- Provide advice and guidance to managers and staff falling under your responsibility on interpretation and application of policies, Staff Rules and Regulations,all aspects of performance assessment as well as on contracting processes.
- Determine and recommend benefits and entitlements for staff on the basis of contractual status.
- Provide induction briefings to newcomers of the units under the appointed officer responsibility and assist them in settling in at EMBL and Germany.
- Establish and maintain an open and consistent channel of communication with the relevant units on all HR related matters; listen to and address staff concerns including bringing these concerns to the attention of management when appropriate.
- Contribute to development, coordination and/or implementation of projects originating from/assigned to the HR department.
- Monitor effectiveness of related HR practices and procedures, and draw attention of/recommended revisions to your supervisor when appropriate.
- Address queries on payroll from members of personnel as appropriate.
- Extract data from SAP for management information, statistics and other reports.
- Prepare responses to inquiries; documentation and draft reports when required.
The tasks are not limited to the above and a flexible approach and ability to adapt to an evolving situation is desired.
Qualifications and Experience
A Bachelor/University degree in Human Resources or a related area (specialising in Human Resources) is required. You will have proven significant generalist HR experience of at least five years as well as experience in the wide ranging duties of personnel management functions including a very good understanding in the application of labour law and Staff Rules and Regulations. Experience of working with electronic HR Information Systems and the ability to train and coach line managers in new policies and rules and regulations as well as a very good command of written and spoken English are essential. Good knowledge of French and/or German would be an asset. Work experience in an international organisation would be an advantage.
Key Competencies are:
- You should be comfortable and confident to work in a standalone capacity as well as foster team working;
- You should be confident to challenge established ways of working and evolve new practices appropriate to the organisation’s future challenge;
- You should be able:
- to “think outside the box” when researching and recommending solutions,
- to handle a variety of tasks under strict timelines,
- to pay attention to details;
- You should have the ability to present information or draft material in a clear manner, and
- demonstrate positive inter-personal skills with excellent verbal and written communication, persuasion and negotiating skills.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises from a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed up to a total period of 9 years, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.