|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years (renewable)|
|Grading:||3 or 4; depending on qualification and experience|
|Closing date:||25 March 2018|
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations worldwide. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Barcelona (Spain), Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton near Cambridge (UK), Rome (Italy).
As part of the Course and Conference Office (CCO) , based at EMBL Heidelberg you will fulfil EMBL’s mission to provide exemplary training for the life sciences, making the laboratory the leading meeting place for biologists in Europe. Join the team that delivers a world-class programme of international conferences, courses and events, primarily at the striking Advanced Training Centre. The ATC is EMBL’s purpose-built scientific conference and training venue, centred on a large auditorium, wet laboratories and computer-based training rooms and complete with social spaces designed to foster networking and collaboration. We offer an international working environment with superb benefits and facilities for staff.
The CCO Administrator fulfills a central support role for the team of ca. 20 events and marketing professionals, providing needed structure and coordination. The postholder is often the first point of contact with other teams internally, with external organisations and with the international scientific community.
- CCO’s central point of contact, attending to general enquiries to the CCO via phone / email / post
- Implement the agreed office management procedures and systems, contributing to their review and improvement
- Coordination of maintenance and supplies for the facilities and equipment of the offices inc’ IT equipment and software.
- Inventory control and stock replenishment for the venue and our events
- Carrying out assigned financial and organisational processes related to the conferences and courses
- Assisting with the on-site coordination of events including some registration desk shifts
- Working with customer relationship management databases and other events software on assigned tasks related to event registration, reviews, abstracts and other processes
- Assisting with the creation, population and upkeep of event websites via content management systems
- Manual tasks essential to delivery of events: production of conference badges, bag-packing, signage production, venue preparation etc.
- Updating and maintenance of information systems, templates, forms
- Scheduling, documentation and organisation for team, group and committee meetings
- Research for and organisation of team retreats, away days, dinners, socials etc. at internal and external venues
- Support for EMBL’s Visitor Office – as vacation coverage
- Provide advice and support for other departments with basic events tools and know-how
- Support in the recruitment of new team members and responsibility for their induction on office matters
- Getting involved in projects and work groups to advance the continuous development of the CCO
- Building and maintaining good relationships with internal and external partners, scientific organisers and service providers
There will be a requirement to work occasional evenings and weekends in support of conferences.
Qualifications and Experience
The Course and Conference Office Administrator should come with the professional competencies gained from a minimum of 2 years office experience. We are looking for an enthusiastic team player with strong administrative, coordination and customer service skills. Experience and interest in event or venue management or professional service provision in the sciences would be an advantage.
- Full fluency in English and a professional level of proficiency in German language essential
- Proficiency in standard office software
- Experience working with databases, content management systems and registration systems
- Excellent time-management skills with the ability to multi-task and perform under pressure
- Adept communicator and relationship builder
- Excellent attention to detail
- Degree level education preferred - other relevant qualifications and / or equivalent, appropriate experience is required
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprise a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.