|Contract Duration:||6 months|
|Closing Date:||15 April 2018|
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the most highly ranked scientific research organisations in the world. We have 1,600 staff members from more than 80 countries, based at our headquarters in Heidelberg (Germany) and at sites in Barcelona (Spain), Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton (UK), and Rome (Italy).
We’re looking for a passionate and creative writer to help explain, promote, and advocate the work of EMBL, a world leader in molecular biology research and service delivery.
In this role you will work closely with other writers and communicators to produce content to inform and engage EMBL’s key audiences.
Content you produce will be used across a variety of channels including the EMBL news website (news.embl.de), EMBL publications such as EMBLetc. magazine, and social media.
Day-to-day activities will include:
• Interviewing, fact checking, researching
• Synthesising and repackaging content for specific audiences
• Writing, editing, and subediting content
• Developing and applying standards for language, format, and style
• Managing content online
Qualifications and Experience
• Excellent English writing and general communication skills
• Ability to understand complex scientific concepts and articulate these in engaging ways appropriate to a variety of target audiences
• Excellent analytical skills, eye for detail
• Ability to respond positively to critical feedback
• Scientific background is a plus
You will join writers, designers, web producers, and communicators in the Strategy and Communications team. We’re an international, friendly, and supportive team, with ties to scientists and professionals throughout EMBL and beyond.
This is a training position intended to provide the experience needed to find a job in science writing or communications. It is suitable for a masters-level graduate looking to build a diverse portfolio of work. Here’s what you’ll get:
• Experience of working in an international, collaborative environment in one of the world’s most respected centres for fundamental life science research.
• Experience of the entire editorial cycle of corporate communications, from planning to delivery. You will build a portfolio of work covering both scientific research and EMBL’s activities more broadly. Your work will span a range of formats such as news pieces, profiles, feature articles, social media posts, explainers, and printed content.
This is a six-month position with the possibility to extend to a maximum of twelve months on mutual agreement. The position is based at EMBL’s site in Heidelberg, Germany. The position comes with a stipend and accommodation is provided.
Please apply by contacting Edward Dadswell at email@example.com and providing a CV, a cover letter, and the contact details of two referees. Samples of your writing or other communications activities would be much appreciated.
The deadline for applications is 15 April 2018. Start date is negotiable but no later than the beginning of July 2018.