|Location:||EMBL-EBI Hinxton near Cambridge, UK|
|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years|
|Grading:||6 (monthly salary starting at £2,805.45 after tax). For more information about pay and benefits click here|
|Closing Date:||5th February 2017|
We are seeking to recruit a Technical Coordinator to join the ELIXIR team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) located at the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK.
ELIXIR is a unique undertaking that consolidates Europe’s bioinformatics resources, services, and national centres into a single, coherent infrastructure.
ELIXIR ensures interoperable tools, long-term sustainability and the reuse of life-science data by supporting community standards and running common services. As a distributed research infrastructure ELIXIR is built upon the bioinformatics services provided by the national ELIXIR Nodes.
The main purpose of this role is to provide the technical project management and service coordination needed to deliver an ELIXIR-wide comprehensive approach to the management, archiving, and responsible sharing of human data consented for reuse in scientific research. This will include development of data access and security strategies and governance processes in collaboration with technical colleagues from the ELIXIR Nodes, e-infrastructures and ELIXIR user communities.
Reporting to ELIXIR’s Head of Human Genomics and Translational Data you will
develop ELIXIR’s portfolio of projects in this area and participate actively in the development and promotion of best practices within ELIXIR. You will work with the scientists and technical experts at our 160 partner institutes across ELIXIR Nodes to ensure interoperable and long-term services.
- Provide bioinformatics technical knowledge and expertise within the Human Genomics and Translational Data domain to:
- lead technical planning;
- assess feasibility of activities coordinated by the ELIXIR Hub;
- identify existing technical solutions and components within ELIXIR that can be adapted and reused in different contexts;
- develop innovative approaches to drive impact, increase capacity and enable future scalability of resources and services;
- identify opportunities and risks for delivering ELIXIR human data services;
- support the Head of Human Genomics and Translational Data and ELIXIR partners to develop and coordinate services within the Human Genomics and Translational Data portfolio.
- Responsible for providing day-to-day management and coordination of ELIXIR human genomics and translational data projects and service portfolio ensuring impact;
- Survey the literature and conferences to identify findings from the broader scientific community that could be integrated into ELIXIR projects;
- Review and document progress and reports, continually assessing impact;
- Facilitate collaboration, communication and alignment with and between the other ELIXIR Platforms and drive technical integration within ELIXIR;
- Work collaboratively and develop relationships with ELIXIR colleagues as well as the external community to contribute to and enable collaborative use of ELIXIR services
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind. Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good. As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by 22 member states and two associate member states and proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 600 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the world.
Qualifications and Experience
You should hold a university degree in in bioinformatics or medical informatics. An advanced degree in one of these fields is an advantage.
You should ideally have:
- 5+ years experience in an informatics-intensive biomedical research environment handling sensitive human data;
- Demonstrated understanding of information security vulnerabilities and risk management;
- Track record of coordinating and motivating technical teams in a distributed environment to deliver against challenging goals and timelines;
- Familiarity with network technologies, authentication standards, database management systems and data integration techniques;
- Experience in developing community standards or involvement in data repositories;
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving abilities;
- Service oriented and outcome focused approach;
- Demonstrate the flexibility, self-motivation and resilience required to independently deliver against agreed outcomes;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and engage with community initiatives;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and preferably other European language(s).
This will be a busy role with frequently changing priorities so it is important that the role-holder is able to:
- Set objectives and plan work independently based on agreed outcomes;
- Meet deadlines and assess priorities to handle a heavy workload;
- Work to a high level of accuracy and attention to detail;
- Occasionally work outside normal office hours and travel to ELIXIR Nodes and meetings as required.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation.
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV, with two referees, through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities - visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
The initial contract is for a period of three years with the possibility of a fixed-term extension.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.