|Location:||EMBL-EBI Hinxton near Cambridge, UK|
|Staff Category:||Supernumerary |
|Contract Duration:||1 year|
|Grading:||6 (monthly salary starting at £2,805 after tax). |
|Closing Date:||5th February 2017|
We are seeking a Technical Project Manager to join the ELIXIR team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) located at the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK.
The main responsibility of the Technical project manager is to provide technical project management support during the development of a long-term strategy and plans for ELIXIR’s technical platforms. This is a 1-year post that will back-fill current resource shortages and provide additional capacity that is flexibly allocated to support our technical planning and implementation.
The Technical project manager will:
- Support the international scientific executive committee for ELIXIR’s platforms and provide day-to-day project management. The role will be flexibly deployed to meet current resource bottlenecks;
- Work within the team of ELIXIR Hub technical coordinators to manage communication and facilitate the coordination of services between ELIXIR’s Platforms;
- Document progress and impact by establishing and monitoring performance indicators;
- Ensure timely reporting on progress, delivery and risks for the platforms portfolio of technical integration projects and project deliverables;
- Plan communication and meetings, community outreach and maintain ELIXIR web/intranet pages related to the role;
- Proactively identify and agree improvement activities within areas of responsibility and, as agreed, leads and contribute to the continuous improvement of ELIXIR.
ELIXIR collaborates with other European research infrastructures to develop a professional Competency profile framework for research infrastructure managers and operators. The framework is currently in draft for consultation across European RI and it is expected that the role-holder will:
- Conduct the role professionally and with a high level of integrity demonstrating the RI Operator competency profile
- Actively support the implementation of the RI Operator competency profile and the incorporation of competency based objectives into annual planning.
As appropriate the Technical project manager, ELIXIR Platforms and services may also be required to support the coordination of bioinformatics resources within ELIXIR Nodes’ into our interoperable and sustained ELIXIR service platforms.
Qualifications and Experience
You should hold a University degree in the field of life-science, computer science, or another scientific, technical or engineering discipline with interest and experience of bioinformatics / medical informatics research. An advanced degree in one these fields is a plus.You should also have professional experience of scientific or technical services management, delivery and/or consulting.
A high level of literacy is required with documented ability to effectively communicate with excellent verbal and written English. Working knowledge to a professional level of additional European languages is a strong asset for the role.
Demonstrated advanced knowledge of desktop computing software in a modern office-based environment (e.g. MS Office, Google Apps) is required.
The following are a requirement of the role:
- Documented project management experience in international research environment; proven ability to effectively interact with multiple stakeholders to effectively deliver and communicate results;
- Demonstrated relevant experience of information technology/computing service delivery, monitoring and reporting;
- Understanding and experience from data-intensive high performance computing;
- Documented analytical and problem-solving abilities with a service oriented and outcome focused approach;
- Documented analytical and problem-solving abilities with a service oriented and outcome focused approach.
To perform this job successfully you must be able to demonstrate functionality in most of the RI competencies. The role-holder must demonstrate the competencies required to operate in a matrix-managed, project driven organisation. This requires the role-holder to lead, and be lead, within multiple, outcome-driven temporary operational teams in addition to the formal line organisation.
This is a busy role with frequently changing priorities and extensive external contacts so it is important that the role-holder:
- Is an energetic self-starter who is able to function comfortably in a team environment or independently and relates well to co-workers and the public;
- Is able to assume a wide range of responsibilities, to work with staff who vary in their work styles, and to work under pressure;
- Has willingness to occasionally work irregular/extra hours, evenings, weekends, and travel domestically and internationally as necessary;
- Is able to professionally represent ELIXIR at public events, conferences and scientific meetings with attention to personal conduct and professional appearance;
- Is able to set objectives and plan work independently based on agreed outcomes;
- Meets deadlines and assess priorities to handle a heavy workload;
- Works to a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation.
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV, with two referees, through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities - visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
This position is limited to the contract duration specified.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.
ELIXIR collects, annotates, archives and makes available to all, critical life sciences data which enables Europe to collectively tackle some of the most pressing societal challenges.
The ELIXIR Hub is located at EMBL-EBI, Wellcome Genome Campus, and has excellent facilities in an attractive campus environment in the Cambridgeshire countryside with transport provided to nearby Cambridge and Saffron Walden. At ELIXIR you would join a dynamic, international team.
For further information on ELIXIR please visit www.elixir-europe.org