|Location:||EMBL-EBI Hinxton near Cambridge, UK|
|Staff Category:||Staff member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years|
|Grading:||6 or 7(monthly salary starting at £2,805 after tax). For more information about pay and benefits click here|
|Closing Date:||31st March 2017|
We are seeking to recruit a Coordinator for the ELIXIR Compute Platform. You will join the ELIXIR team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) located at the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK.
The Coordinator - ELIXIR Compute Platform is the technical lead and product manager for the ELIXIR Compute Platform. You work closely with and support our international scientific leadership team for the Compute Platform. Your main task will be to provide day-to-day management and coordination for the platform and ensure that strategic roadmaps and operational plans are in place. The role drives the development and implementation of a project portfolio to support ELIXIR Compute Resources. The role holder works closely with scientists and technical experts in the ELIXIR Compute Platform, which is formed by services drawn from our 180 partner institutes across the 21 ELIXIR Nodes. You will ensure interoperability and long-term development of ELIXIR’s Compute resources. You will oversee our technical planning, implementation, document progress and impact assessment by establishing and monitoring performance, quality and impact indicators.
The role closely collaborates with overall ELIXIR programme coordination, project management and external relations functions at the ELIXIR Hub. The role holder will collate operational outcome, and report on progress to the Director, the Heads of Nodes group, and other internal and external stakeholders as appropriate.
The Coordinator - ELIXIR Compute Platform will be expected to:
- Organise ELIXIR Compute platform development and bring together the geographically distributed project partners and to implement shared technical strategies and standards;
- Support the scientific leadership team for the Compute Platform with coordination, documentation and reporting on progress, delivery and risks for the ELIXIR Compute platform portfolio of technical integration projects;
- Oversee the development of a strategic roadmap, platform architecture and product portfolio and translate this into annual work plan and Commissioned Services;
- In close partnership with the scientific leadership team for the Compute Platform and ELIXIR Nodes, organise communication, outreach and facilitate collaboration with the other ELIXIR platforms;
- Bring together services, developers and users to drive partnerships across ELIXIR’s member states;
- Contribute as part of the ELIXIR Hub technical group to the achievement of our strategy and efficient operation of ELIXIR and the ELIXIR Hub; take responsibility for agreed team management and operational tasks;
- Proactively identify and agree improvement activities within areas of responsibility and, as agreed, lead and take responsibility for driving and supporting change and the continuous improvement of ELIXIR.
As appropriate the Coordinator - ELIXIR Data Platform will also:
- Lead working groups and improvement projects in areas related to the role and the ELIXIR Hub;
- Provide project management support to Commissioned services and Implementation studies, in particular within new or developing areas with a view to hand-over responsibility when projects and ELIXIR’s organisation mature;
- Contribute to the development of grant applications with technical expertise and community insight.
Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in life-science, computer science, engineering or another quantitative discipline. An advanced degree in one these fields is a plus.
- Experience of computational service provision within an international research environment. Research experience and good knowledge of bioinformatics and life-science data management is a strong asset for the role.
- A high level of literacy is required with documented ability to effectively communicate with excellent verbal and written English. Working knowledge to a professional level of additional European languages is a strong asset for the role.
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge of desktop computing software required in a modern office-based environment (e.g. MS Office, Google Apps).
Required experience and knowledge
- 5+ years experience of bioinformatics data management, computational service provision or development, preferably in an informatics-intensive life-science environment.
- Ability to lead and motivate technical teams in a distributed and matrix-managed environment to deliver against challenging goals and timelines.
- Experience of developing project technical specifications and performance indicators based on user research.
- Awareness and understanding of European research infrastructures programmes is a strong asset.
- Documented analytical and problem-solving abilities with a service oriented and outcome focused approach.
- Demonstrated ability to independently deliver against agreed outcomes with the flexibility, self-motivation and resilience required to independently develop clarity and manage multiple stakeholder needs.
To perform this job successfully you will be able to demonstrate functionality in most of the RI competencies and specifically demonstrate the competencies required to operate and develop a matrix-managed, project driven organisation. You will therefore be:
- Results oriented with excellent interpersonal skills. You set goals and prioritise tasks judiciously with a minimum of supervision.
- An energetic self-starter who is able to function comfortably in a team environment and relates well to co-workers and the public.
- Able to assume a wide range of responsibilities, to work with collaborators who vary in their work styles, and to work under pressure.
- Strong collaborator with demonstrated track record of delivery in geographically distributed teams.
- Willing to occasionally work irregular/extra hours, evenings, weekends, and travel domestically and internationally as necessary.
- Able to professionally represent ELIXIR at public events, conferences and scientific meetings with attention to personal conduct and professional appearance.
This is a busy role with frequently changing priorities and extensive external contacts so it is important that the role-holder is able to:
- Set objectives and plan work independently based on agreed outcomes.
- Work to a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Communicate effectively and provide clarity for others.
- Provide timely response to requests and deadlines.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation.
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
ELIXIR collects, annotates, archives and makes available to all, critical life sciences data which enables Europe to collectively tackle some of the most pressing societal challenges.
The ELIXIR Hub is located at EMBL-EBI, Wellcome Genome Campus, and has excellent facilities in an attractive campus environment in the Cambridgeshire countryside with transport provided to nearby Cambridge and Saffron Walden. At ELIXIR you would join a dynamic, international team.
For further information on ELIXIR please visit www.elixir-europe.org
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV, with two referees, through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities - visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
The initial contract is for a period of three years with the possibility of a fixed-term extension.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.