|Location:||EMBL-EBI, Hinxton, near Cambridge, UK|
|Contract Duration:||Minimum 3 months|
We are looking for an enthusiastic trainee to help to create a database and web-based GUI for our competency profiles. Competency profiles group together all competencies required to fulfil a particular role. A competency is an observable ability of any professional, integrating multiple components such as knowledge, skills, values and attitudes.
This training opportunity will be based in the EMBL-EBI web development team. You will be supported by members of the web development team as well as the EMBL-EBI training team. This is an excellent opportunity to gain experience of the full software life-cycle, from conception to release:
- Working with the people who will use the software to define its functionality
- Conceptualising and creating a MySQL database
- Enabling upload of preformatted competency profiles from spreadsheets
- Enabling administrators to edit or add individual competencies
- Enabling administrators to map to training courses held in other databases
- Implement an API.
In return we will mentor you, working with you to expand your skill-set – in order to enrich your CV with:
- Teamwork skills
- User experience design skills
- Understanding of experience of the full software life-cycle, from conception to release.
An allowance will be offered to the selected trainee.
EMBL-EBI provides a dynamic, international working environment and has close ties with both the University of Cambridge and the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute. EMBL-EBI staff enjoy many benefits including a free shuttle bus to Cambridge, an active sports and social club and an attractive working environment set in 55 acres of parkland.
Qualifications and Experience
To get the most from the training opportunity you will ideally have:
- Good communication skills
- End-user focus
- Technical mindset with knowledge of relational databases and an ability to troubleshoot
- Experience with both back-end and front-end development
- Ability to pick up new skills quickly
- Dedication to contributing to the success of the EMBL-EBI training programme
- Experience with Data Visualisation techniques
- Advanced English. Additional language skills an advantage but not essential.
You are likely to be a computer-science graduate or undergraduate with some experience of writing your own software. You will be comfortable working to a tight brief and regularly consulting with others to ensure that the project is going to plan. Some experience of working with non-technical colleagues and end users, and of tailoring software to their needs would be ideal and you will have proven organisational skills.
This is a trainee opportunity, as such we expect you to be highly motivated, hard working, able to take direction/ask questions and eager to learn. You will need to have a concern for excellence, attention to detail and excellent customer focus. A passion for rigorously scoping user requirements with others is essential.
To apply please submit through our online system:
- A short CV including date of birth, home address, provide list of technologies known/used
- An intermediate transcript of your current university results
- A 500 word personal statement detailing what you hope to achieve from the role, how it would fit with your studies and why you think you would be the right candidate
- Certification from your university stating that you are currently registered at university.
We are looking to cover a 39 hour working week – Monday to Friday, it is important that you indicate on your application any commitments we should be aware of during your time at EMBL-EBI.
You need to be available tostart immediately
If you have any questions, please contact Vera Matser - firstname.lastname@example.org