|Location:||EMBL-EBI Hinxton near Cambridge, UK|
|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||3 Years|
|Grading:||5 (monthly salary starting at £2,507 after tax). For more information about pay and benefits click here|
|Closing Date:||5th April 2017|
We are seeking to recruit an enthusiastic and talented Web Developer to join the Web Development team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) located at the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK.
As part of the Web Development Team your primary role will be working on the cooperate website, training websites, and the internal intranet of EMBL-EBI. You will also help produce shared components and guidance for other web developers at EMBL-EBI to use on other tools and projects.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Designing and developing client and server side components and services for use by the web development team and by others across EMBL-EBI;
- Working with User Experience professionals to design intuitive usable experiences for both end users of our sites and those creating content;
- Producing responsive, secure and usable code.
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind. Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good. As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by 22 member states and two associate member states and proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 600 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the world.
Qualifications and Experience
Required skills include:
- Skilled at back-end development using a server side language like PHP/Ruby/Node.js;
- Ability to work collaboratively with others, using the processes and tools of the trade. For example: agile development, git, and continuously improving processes;
- Written and oral communication skills with non-technical stakeholders;
- Working with and creating web services and APIs.
Additional desirable skills. We don’t need you to have all these skills, however any that you do have will help your application:
- Developing on a Content Management System (CMS). Even better if that system is Drupal;
- Development with PHP;
- Experience with CSS frameworks like Foundation or Bootstrap;
- Using build tools such as NPM, Jekyll, Grunt, Sass/SCSS;
- Experience with web and graphic design.
You will be integrated in a small web team and will interact with the UX designers and users of the content management systems. As well as technical ability, you must be able to demonstrate the ability to work well with colleagues and to collaborate with external partners.
We’re looking for somebody who cares deeply about the experience of those using the websites, and those creating the content that drives them. You believe the best sites are made when there is a strong collaboration between these groups.
You must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and enjoy working in a stimulating and international culture. An interest or experience in science, especially life sciences, would be advantageous.
- Setting up a Continuous Delivery system using GitlabCI for Jekyll static site publishing;
- Released a stable iteration of our Visual Framework based on Foundation to GitHub - this is our SCSS/JS page layout framework that teams across the EBI consume to make web services/applications that integrate into the site;
- Written custom dashboards using the Google Analytics APIs that speak directly to the content goals defined in our content models;
- Automated the Grunt build process to produce our SVG iconography and custom fonts;
- Started planning the next evolution of our Drupal content database and the APIs that we want it to expose;
- Met with the Training team to sketch designs for a web service, data model and editorial interface to map training courses to competency profiles.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation.
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV, with two referees, through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities - visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
The initial contract is for a period of three years with the possibility of a fixed-term extension.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.
It is envisaged that interviews will take place on 21.04.2017