|Location:||EMBL-EBI Hinxton near Cambridge, UK|
|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||3 Years|
|Grading:||5 (monthly salary starting at £2,552 after tax). For more information about pay and benefits click here|
|Closing Date:||8th October 2017|
We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic, highly motivated DevOps Software Engineer to work in the EGA and Archive Infrastructure Team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI) located on the Wellcome Trust Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK.
The European Genome-phenome Archive (EGA) is among the world’s premier archives for research-consented human genetic data. On behalf of data owners we securely archive and provide access to genetic data, frequently streaming over 100TB per day of custom-encrypted data streams to authorized researchers around the world via our data access API. As part of the ELIXIR infrastructure we are expanding the deployment of the API to our partners across Europe. We work with the Global Alliance for Genomics and Health (GA4GH) to ensure that our API is interoperable with other global initiatives for genetic data sharing.
As a DevOps Software Engineer you will have ownership of designing and developing key components of the EGA Data API and supporting infrastructure deployment to ensure a high availability service. You will interact with frontline helpdesk to receive reports and diagnose service interruptions. By writing, designing and implementing software to drive reliability and performance, you will ensure continuous quality on production systems as you embed deeply in the many layers and stages of software development.
Working in this role you will:
- Make the most efficient use of DevOps technologies such as Docker, implement the right tool for the job when necessary;
- Maintain, improve, develop microservices to deliver cutting edge functionality as part of the EGA Data API;
- Contribute to an environment that enables our engineers to build, release, and operate their own microservices;
- Collaborate with our networking and infrastructure teams to maintain and administering our infrastructure to support consumer-facing REST APIs, backend business and data pipelines;
- Use best-in-class monitoring and self-healing techniques to efficiently scale with our data distribution demands;
- Participate in Global Alliance for Genomics and Health (GA4GH) efforts to standardise APIs and Tools to support bioinformatics applications and pipelines;
- Collaborate with ELIXIR Nodes across Europe;
- Work with, teach, and learn from a great team that is fun, devoted to personal growth, and committed to building something meaningful, lasting, and impactful.
Qualifications and Experience
We are looking for software engineers who:
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV, with two referees, through our online system.