|Location:||EMBL-EBI Hinxton near Cambridge, UK|
|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||Until 31.05.2019|
|Grading:||5 (monthly salary starting at £2,552 after tax). For more information about pay and benefits click here|
|Closing Date:||24 September 2017|
We are seeking a highly motivated Biocurator to join the Data Coordination and Archiving Team at the EMBL European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI; http://www.ebi.ac.uk/), located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK. The team provides data coordination and other bioinformatics support services for partners around the world for a portfolio of studies. Using the host of data resources available from EMBL-EBI, ELIXIR (https://www.elixir-europe.org/) and beyond, the successful candidate will contribute to the translation of this substantial infrastructure to marine and other environmental communities and contribute to the construction of rich public data sets in a fast-growing and important area of applied science.
The post holder will contribute to the following two projects:
Supporting access to bioinformatics infrastructure: The European Union’s EMBRIC project brings together Research Infrastructures in the area of marine biotechnology. With genomics, metabolomics and other molecular biology applications gaining relevance in this area, presenting and supporting the use of ELIXIR resources becomes increasingly important. In addition to providing direct support to users from a range of marine studies, the post holder will contribute to the development and operation of services around the configuration and presentation of ELIXIR resources and the coordination of genomics and other relevant data sets.
Scoping of integrative data standards across the environmental sciences: As partners in the European Union’s ENVRI+ project, we are committed to tracking and maximising interoperability between ELIXIR’s data resources and those of environmental science Research Infrastructures. Through the profiling of practices in environmental informatics, the post holder will work towards maximum possible harmonisation between bioinformatics and environmental data resources.
The responsibilities of the EMBRIC/ENVRI Biocurator will include:
- Operational support to collaborators engaged in above projects that may include curation, standards development, data management and project-specific training;
- Interactions with those providing technical services underpinning the operations;
- Maintaining an active interest in ELIXIR activities beyond the above projects to ensure optimal use of technologies, services and expertise;
- Attending and presenting at national and international meetings;
- Organisation and delivery of project-specific meetings.
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind. Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good. As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by 22 member states and two associate member states and proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 600 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the world.
Qualifications and Experience
Applicants should possess a university degree in the life sciences and either a post-graduate degree or a PhD in bioinformatics, data science or a biological science.
Candidate requirements include:
- Broad knowledge of molecular biology
- Experience with biomolecular data
- Proficiency in working with desktop computers, Unix and familiarity with command line operations
- Excellent presentation skills
- Strong English verbal and written communication skills
- Full commitment to teamwork and ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Ability to work to deadlines
Additional assets could be:
- Experience/familiarity with marine/aquatic environments
- Experience with approaches relevant to marine (blue) biotechnology
- Previous professional experience in the bioinformatics domain
- Familiarity with technical aspects of data resources (such as RESTful APIs, relational database management systems and SQL query language)
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation.
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV, with two referees, through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities - visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
This position is limited to the project duration specified.
Applications will close at 23:00 BST on the date listed above.
It is envisaged that interviews will take place on 13.10.2017