|Location:||EMBL-EBI Hinxton near Cambridge, UK|
|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years|
|Grading:||5 (monthly salary starting at £2,552 after tax). For more information about pay and benefits click here|
|Closing Date:||1st October 2017|
Are you a web developer who wants to visualise complex biological data? We are looking for an enthusiastic Front-End Web Developer to join the Proteomics Team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI). The team is responsible of the maintenance and further development of the popular PRIDE (PRoteomics IDEntifications) database and related resources such as PRIDE Cluster. PRIDE is a world-leading international proteomics database, a founding member of ProteomeXchange (PX) Consortium, that is capturing large-scale mass spectrometry (MS)-based proteomics data from the scientific community, and currently managing hundreds of TBs of data. In addition, we are a major contributor to international standardisation efforts under the umbrella of the Proteomics Standards Initiative (PSI).
The successful candidate will be motivated to combine the art of design with the development of web components and web application interfaces of the different PRIDE resources. Responsibilities include the UI/UX design of PRIDE resources, and the implementation of the web components and user interfaces, taking an active role on both sides and defining how the application looks as well as how it works.
- Designing/developing interfaces for Proteomics resources (PRIDE Archive and PRIDE Cluster)
- Building reusable web components that can be reused in Proteomics resources but also in other EMBL-EBI Resources to interact with PRIDE data.
- Optimisation of web application components for maximum speed and scalability where working with “Big Data”.
- Collaboration with other developers in the team to re-design/re-implement backend components for more responsive UI interfaces and better user experience across the different Proteomics resources.
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind. Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good. As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by 23 member states and two associate member states and proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 600 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the world.
Qualifications and Experience
You should have a degree in computer science and be able to demonstrate a minimum of 3 years’ experience in software development, ideally in a life science environment. Experience in bioinformatics would be desirable.
You will work in a highly international, team-oriented environment and collaborate closely with external partners. Excellent communication skills are essential. The ability to work independently, under time pressure, and the dedication to communicate openly are necessary skills.
Applicants should be able to demonstrate the following skills:
- Proficient understanding of web markup, including HTML5 and CSS.
- Good understanding of UI/UX design is expected to deliver better web components and user experience.
- Good understanding of asynchronous request handling, partial page updates.
- Good understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues and ways to work around them.
- Strong understanding of REST APIs and knowledge of how to interface with them.
- Strong understanding of indexing and database technologies and how to interact with them (e.g. SolR, Lucene, ElasticSearch, MySQL, Neo4J).
- Good understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git.
- Motivated to learn new front-end technologies.
- Good knowledge of visualization libraries like D3.js would be highly desirable.
- Experience with other backend languages such as Java or Python would be an advantage.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation.
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV, with two referees, through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities - visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
The initial contract is for a period of three years with the possibility of a fixed-term extension.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.