|Location:||EMBL-EBI Hinxton near Cambridge, UK|
|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||Until 30.08.2019|
|Grading:||5 or 6 (monthly salary starting at £2,552 after tax). For more information about pay and benefits click here|
|Closing Date:||15th October 2017|
ELIXIR is seeking a junior Project Manager with experience in EC projects to join the dynamic and international team at the ELIXIR Hub in Hinxton, UK. The main purpose of this role is to provide the project management needed for successful delivery of our externally funded projects, primarily, but not exclusively our two large Horizon 2020-funded flagship projects, ELIXIR-EXCELERATE and CORBEL.
ELIXIR-EXCELERATE has 53 partners and linked third parties spread over 17 countries with a total budget of more than €19M and drives ELIXIR’s implementation and current operations. CORBEL is an initiative of eleven biological and medical research infrastructures (BMS RIs), which together creates a platform for harmonised user access and data management. The consortium has 45 partners and linked 3rd parties with a budget of about €14M.
Working within the growing project management unit at the ELIXIR Hub, the ELIXIR junior project manager works in close collaboration with the other project managers, our technical coordinators and the external relations team at the ELIXIR Hub as well as with colleagues at the 21 national ELIXIR Nodes and other project partners throughout Europe. This is a key role in a dynamic and international environment where you, supported by senior colleagues, will have the opportunity to project manage large and complex EC grants.
It is expected that you will apply and actively contribute to further development of good project management practice and strong project management capabilities within the ELIXIR Hub and wider ELIXIR organisation. As required you may also contribute to the development and submission of further large, multidisciplinary, and multi-collaborative grant proposals to a wide range of funding agencies and organizations, including both public and private external entities.
The main duties and responsibilities under ELIXIR-EXCELERATE and CORBEL project manager guidance and supervision, are as follows:
- Help to ensure that ELIXIR-EXCELERATE and CORBEL deadlines, targets and objectives are successfully achieved by providing support, pro-active management and guidance to work-package leaders and partners;
- Day-to-day management of project risks and opportunities including project performance indicators and risk register;
- Assist the planning and budget processes, assemble and analyse metrics and outcomes; ensure that all reporting requirements are met;
- Assist in effectively managing changes in the large consortium, including in terms of project partners, tasking and resources;
- Effectively and proactively communicate operational outcomes, risks, and ongoing processes to the ELIXIR-EXCELERATE and CORBEL Project Managers;
- Collaborate closely with colleagues in the ELIXIR Hub team – in particular the technical coordinators and other project managers – to ensure that the projects are aligned with overall ELIXIR operations and future strategy;
- As required, contribute to the development of future grant proposals; support proposal and budget development and writing; write and edit proposal narratives and budgetary justifications;
- As required, contribute to the management and delivery of other/additional ELIXIR projects and work-packages;
- As required, work closely with the EMBL-EBI Grants Office in the process of submitting, negotiating and managing awarded grants;
- Represent ELIXIR, as appropriate, in interactions with internal and external stakeholders such as the European Commission.
In order to provide effective support, you will need to stay abreast of the development of ELIXIR as well as related organisations and initiatives and may from time to time have to attend meetings outside normal working hours and undertake international travel.
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate will have a University degree in life-science, computer science, engineering or another quantitative discipline with experience of working in a high-paced professional/academic research environment.
Good project management experience in an international research environment is required with proven ability to effectively interact with multiple stakeholders to deliver results.
Experience and understanding of research infrastructure environments is a strong asset. Good understanding of European research programmes including the negotiation of project collaboration agreements and demonstrated experience of managing EU-funded contracts and grants is a strong asset.
Experience in coordinating and drafting grant applications and multi-party collaborations would be a plus.
A high level of literacy is required with documented ability to effectively communicate with excellent verbal and written English. Working knowledge to a professional level of additional European languages is a strong asset for the role.
Solid knowledge of MS Office in particular MS EXCEL and Google Docs is required
This will be a busy role with frequently changing priorities so it is essential that you:
- Are able to organise and independently manage delivery within a multi-disciplinary, collaborative team environment;
- Meet deadlines and handle a heavy workload by openly and proactively clarifying priorities;
- Are able to work to a high level of accuracy and attention to detail;
- Have a flexible approach, self-motivation and resilience;
- Are able to effectively collaborate to deliver exceptional results as part of a team;
- Are prepared to work occasionally outside normal office hours if required;
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation.
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
ELIXIRcollects, annotates, archives and makes available to all, critical lifesciences data which enables Europe to collectively tackle some of the mostpressing societal challenges.
TheELIXIR Hub is located at EMBL-EBI, Wellcome Genome Campus, and has excellentfacilities in an attractive campus environment in the Cambridgeshirecountryside with transport provided to nearby Cambridge and Saffron Walden. AtELIXIR you would join a dynamic, international team.
Forfurther information on ELIXIR please visit www.elixir-europe.org
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV, with two referees, through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities - visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
This position is limited to the project duration specified.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.