|Location:||EMBL-EBI Hinxton near Cambridge, UK|
|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years|
|Grading:||5 (monthly salary starting at £2,552 after tax). For more information about pay and benefits click here|
|Closing Date:||31st January 2018|
The Genomics Technology Infrastructure team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) seeks a highly motivated individual committed to developing and delivering web views supporting data visualisation for the Ensembl family of web sites.
Big data management and dissemination is one of the most important biological information problems in genomics. The Ensembl infrastructure provides access to over 40,000 genomes served from one of the world's largest computer resources for genomic analysis, developing Open Source software. Thousands of scientists worldwide depend on access to these data to help their research.
The successful candidate would take part in Ensembl Front-End web development and their responsibilities would include:
- Working to create our next-generation website including search, a genome browser and entity viewer
- Continuing development and maintenance of our existing website infrastructure
- Developing novel visualisations for genomic data
- Engaging in user interviews and user centric design during the design and implementation of the browser
- Contributing to the service delivery of the Ensembl sites
- Work closely with other members of Ensembl front-end web development and the wider team in Ensembl and Ensembl Genomes
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind. Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good. As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by 23 member states and two associate member states and proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 600 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the world.
Qualifications and Experience
The successful candidate will have a masters level qualification or similar practical experience in computer science, bioinformatics or related subjects.
You should have previous experience in developing web interfaces. Experience of working in a larger software development team with a shared code base is desirable but not essential.
You are highly self-motivated and be able to work independently. You are expected to have excellent English communication skills, written and verbal, both to facilitate effective communications with other team members and to communicate with external collaborators and users. You also have an attention to detail, be capable of delivering to deadlines, able to delegate and prioritise tasks
An applicant should have at least two of the following skills:
- Knowledge of Perl or equivalent scripting language such as Python, Ruby or PHP
- Knowledge of modern web front-end frameworks such as Foundation, React.io, Ember or Angular
- Be comfortable with working on the Linux command line
- Be able to use software development tools including Git
- Experience of web security authentication and authorisation standards e.g. OAuth 2.0, HTTPS
- Experience of web UI development methodologies including using analytics, logs, speed regression testing and UX design methodologies.
- Experience of agile development methods
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation.
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV, with two referees, through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities - visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
The initial contract is for a period of three years with the possibility of a fixed-term extension.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.