|Location:||EMBL-EBI Hinxton near Cambridge, UK|
|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years|
|Grading:||5 (monthly salary starting at £2,552 after tax). For more information about pay and benefits click here|
|Closing Date:||28th January 2018|
We are looking for a technical writer to develop EMBL-EBI’s web, social media, intranet and general documentation around our IT activities. The European Bioinformatics Laboratory (EBI) is part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) and a world-leading bioinformatics centre providing biological data to the scientific community with expertise in data storage, analysis and representation. To deliver this world leading science we have a complex IT infrastructure comprising over 80 staff, 220 racks of equipment in three data centres, housing over 200PB of storage undertaking analysis across internal clusters and clouds.
The successful candidate will join the Technology and Science Integration Team at EMBL-EBI located on the Wellcome Trust Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, working in the Technical Services Cluster (TSC) reporting to Steven Newhouse the Head of Technical Services. The TSC manages EMBL-EBI’s IT infrastructure and the successful candidate will work with the managers and staff in TSC to develop how we communicate our work to our internal and external stakeholders through a range of channels. You will be expected to work with the TSC management team to:
- Develop a communications strategy (including, internet, intranet, social media), in collaboration with EMBL-EBI’s own communications team, for how TSC interacts with its internal and external stakeholders (including our user community) for service changes, news announcements and service interruptions.
- Work with the internal Web Development team to ensure that the TSC intranet and internet presence supports the defined communications strategy and to develop and maintain these web spaces.
- Identify, prepare and disseminate through appropriate channels suitable copy relating to new service developments, new equipment or new projects that may need to be communicated within the TSC, across EMBL-EBI or more broadly in the community.
- Work with the technical staff within TSC to review and update the online user documentation and any relevant training material relating to the services they manage to provide high-quality easy to understand material.
- Prepare and maintain promotional material (e.g. presentations, handouts, posters, white papers, reports, videos, etc.) relating to the IT activity within EMBL-EBI in conjunction with relevant TSC technical and managerial staff and EMBL-EBI’s own communication team (e.g. house style, graphics, printing).
EMBL-EBI has a flexible working policy which could include part-time or some remote working from within the UK for this role.
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind. Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good. As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by 23 member states and two associate member states and proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 600 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the world.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree level or equivalent qualification/experience in an IT related area that allows you to understand the work of TSC and the opportunities to communicate these into a winder societal context.
- At least 3 years or more experience as a technical writer with a demonstrated ability to proof read and write compelling copy (please provide samples – e.g. technical documentation, case studies, opinion articles) across a number of channels (e.g. web, social media).
- Experience of communicating and working via email, phone and F2F with technical experts (e.g. IT staff) in a demanding field (e.g. in a science community).
- Excellent communication skills (verbal & written English) that allows you to produce compelling copy and so as to operate effectively within international teams.
- Ability to manage, balance and re-prioritise your time over a programme of activity to drive individual tasks to a conclusion within deadlines.
- Be self-motivated and capable of working both independently and with teams both within and external to EMBL-EBI.
Desirable attributes include:
- Experience of working in the life science community or similar academic or research environment.
- Be able to travel within Europe (and occasionally outside of Europe) to meetings, conferences and workshops as required to represent EMBL-EBI and their work.
- Ability to work up, down and sideways with stakeholders within an organisation and outside an organisation.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation.
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV, with two referees, through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities - visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
The initial contract is for a period of three years with the possibility of a fixed-term extension.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.