|Location:||EMBL-EBI Hinxton near Cambridge, UK|
|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years|
|Grading:||3 (monthly salary starting at £2,187.76 after tax)|
|Closing Date:||1st July 2018|
We are seeking talented and enthusiastic graduates to work with 65 IT professionals who provide High Performance Computing, Web Services, Enterprise Infrastructure and Networking to the EMBL-EBI’s 850 users. Working in our End User Support team you will form a new service desk function providing first line assistance to EMBL-EBI’s scientific, technical and administrative users. This role will develop your IT support & communication skills whilst learning the environment, the processes, the technology we use and how EMBL-EBI operates. The IT environment at EMBL-EBI is unique as it includes everything from conventional Enterprise IT support (e.g. MS Word, desktop software installs) to the computing and data environment needed to support Europe’s leading bioinformatics centres. As well as technical skills, by the end of three years you will have developed the skills and confidence to work independently, diagnose and fix complex IT problems, and contribute your ideas or discuss your experiences in meetings as a member of a successful IT team.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide day to day customer focused service desk support to EMBL-EBI users
- Act as the first point of contact for IT related queries
- Ensure IT requests are logged into the service desk system
- Escalation of tickets to the correct team within the Technical Services Cluster, following process and procedures as appropriate
- Resolution of tickets by operating the processes/procedures that you have been trained to use
- Communicate with end-users to identify the extent of a technical issue and convey the planned method of resolution in a clear manner
- Carry out administrative duties as required to do so by the Desktop Support Team Manager
- Work to ensure compliance with FitSM (ITIL equivalent) Incident, Problem and Change Management processes and standards
- To work in conjunction with and comply to other technical teams to achieve and deliver quality services
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind. Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good. As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by 24 member states and two associate member states and proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 600 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the world.
Qualifications and Experience
Applicants should have a recent university degree in an IT related subject and/or a professional IT certification.
Additionally, evidence of the following are required;
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent English communication (both written & oral) skills
- Ability to work under pressure within a busy working environment
- Problem solving, an ability to understand & resolve technical issues
- Good understanding of basic IT technology
- Ability to learn quickly, follow written processes and procedures accurately
- Knowledge of Linux, Windows or MacOS would be beneficial
This position is suitable for graduates looking to take the first step in their professional career. Prior experience in a similar role is not a prerequisite.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation.
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV, with two referees, through our online system.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
This position is limited to the contract duration specified.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.