|Location:||EMBL-EBI Hinxton near Cambridge, UK|
|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||3 Years|
|Grading:||5 or 6 (monthly salary starting at £2,552 or 2,855 after tax). For more information about pay and benefits click here|
|Closing Date:||1st July 2018|
We are looking to recruit an IT Support Officer to join the Desktop Team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK.
- Work with the other Desktop Team members to resolve incidents and to deliver technical project work packages.
- Contribute to the day to day management and maintenance of core operational infrastructure platforms including: Windows, MacOS, and Linux systems
- Provide technical input to new & existing projects and support your desktop team and other technical colleagues to plan and deliver projects and services that will benefit the EMBL-EBI
- Apply problem solving skills and use an analytical approach to resolve issues across the desktop team’s remit.
- If you don’t know already, you need to have a willingness to learn how to support Linux systems. Training will be provided.
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind. Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good. As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by 23 member states and two associate member states and proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 600 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the world.
Qualifications and Experience
It is paramount that any candidate has exceptional problem solving skills and works well within a small team and on their own. This role requires a high level of interaction with users of all technical abilities so good customer facing skills are essential.
The ideal candidate will also have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Engineering or equivalent experience
- Microsoft or other IT professional certifications
- Knowledge and understanding of IT Service Management processes (incident, change, problem management, etc.) and associated management software (e.g. has used ticketing systems) to deliver consistent quality service and support.
- Knowledge of Windows and Mac systems in a corporate environment and knowledge of the operating environments that are required to support these client types.
- At least 3 years professional experience of working in a similar role, with proven knowledge of Windows services such as Active Directory, TCP/IP, DHCP & DNS and printing services.
- Experience of, or willingness to learn Linux administration.
Excellent English, communication and interpersonal skills are necessary.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation.
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV, with two referees, through our online system.
Applications are welcome from all nationalities - visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
EMBL-EBI is committed to achieving gender balance and strongly encourages applications from women, who are currently under-represented at all levels. Appointment will be based on merit alone.
The initial contract is for a period of three years with the possibility of a fixed-term extension.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above.