|Location:||EMBO (Heidelberg, Germany)|
|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years|
|Grading:||4, 5 or 6; depending on experience and qualifications|
|Closing Date:||26 February 2020|
EMBO stands for excellence in the life sciences. We support talented researchers at all stages of their careers in Europe and beyond, stimulate the exchange of scientific information, and help build a research environment where scientists can achieve their best work. A core programme of EMBO since the 1960s, EMBO Fellowships have benefited thousands of early career scientists. Life scientists actively seek EMBO Postdoctoral Fellowships and EMBO Advanced Fellowships to fund and support their international careers. Approximately 300 scientists also benefit each year from EMBO Short-Term Fellowships, returning to their home laboratories with new skills as well as contacts for future collaborations. The EMBO Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme is currently undergoing a major transition, from awarding EMBO Fellows directly with a stipend to concluding contracts with fellows’ host institutions (universities and research institutes) that provide fellows with an employment contract.
EMBO is looking for a joint Programme Officer for the Finance and Fellowship offices. The Finance and Fellowship Officer provides accounting and bookkeeping services, primarily for the Fellowship Programme, but also for other areas of EMBO. An important part of the advertised role will be to assist the Head of the Fellowship Programme and the Finance office in managing the transition from stipends to contracts for the Postdoctoral Fellowship scheme. Specific responsibilities:
- accounting of ongoing stipend payments for fellowship awardees;
- control and payment processing of travel claims;
- reconciliation of the pension scheme for EMBO Fellows;
- recording and follow-up of European Commission grant transactions;
- data entry into accounting system;
- correspondence and filing;
- entering of payments into payment database;
- supervision of creditors accounts;
- general accounting tasks;
- support of and backup for Finance Officer for accounting;
- performing additional tasks as required by the EMBO Director.
- good knowledge of bookkeeping and German tax law, ideally as a trained tax assistant or accountant;
- at least three years’ professional experience.
- knowledge of accounting systems such as DATEV, Taylorix or Lexware;
- familiarity with debtors, creditors, prepayments and accruals, cost centres and cash flow;
- the capacity to work independently as well as part of a team in an international environment and in contact with customers and suppliers;
- fluency in German and English;
- excellent written and oral communication skills.
You might also have
- Additional language skills are advantageous.
Why join us
The EMBO offices are located on the international EMBL life science research campus in Heidelberg, Germany. Heidelberg, home to around 150,000 people, is a vibrant university city offering a high quality of life. EMBO is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international science organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, pension scheme and health insurance, and educational and other family-related benefits. As a non-profit organisation, we have an informal and collegial working environment that is inspired by our dedication to working for a common greater good.
What else you need to know
The Finance and Fellowship Officer reports jointly to the Head of Finance and Administration and to the Head of the Fellowship Programme. Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.