|Location:||EMBO (Heidelberg, Germany)|
|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years|
|Grading:||3 or 4, depending on individual qualifications and experience|
|Closing Date:||26 May 2021|
EMBO stands for excellence in the life sciences. We support talented researchers at all stages of their careers in Europe and beyond, stimulate the exchange of scientific information, and help build a research environment where scientists can achieve their best work. The Administration and Finance office ensures the smooth financial and administrative operation of EMBO and supports EMBO staff in their related tasks.
EMBO is looking for a General Assistant, Reception and Building Operations. You will provide general administrative, practical and logistical support to EMBO staff and visitors in a range of designated activities and be responsible for the smooth operation and upkeep of the EMBO building and common areas. Specific responsibilities:
- Assist EMBO staff with organising on-site meetings (preparing and tidying meeting rooms, assisting external meeting participants, ordering and preparing with catering, acting as contact point for logistics during meetings, etc.)
- Administer the booking system for conference and meeting rooms
- Travel booking for staff duty travel and on-site meetings, including flight and hotel bookings, local transport, etc.
- Reception duties, including welcoming visitors to the EMBO building and assist them with their requirements; (finding rooms, booking taxies, etc.); providing information to visitors ahead of time (campus maps and location, public transport options etc.); upkeep of the reception area
- Caretaker duties, including ensuring presentability and upkeep of the EMBO building, meeting rooms and common facilities, as well as carrying out minor repairs
- Liaise with relevant EMBL departments (Facility Management, Stores, Purchasing, and others) as well as external providers (e.g. cleaning company, repair personnel, catering services, hotels, etc.)
- Handle petty cash, take physical inventory and assist the Administration and Finance team with purchasing
- Ensure common use office and meeting items are in stock (stationery, printer supplies, beverages, etc.)
- Collect, distribute and send internal and external post and other shipments
- Carry out local errands (e.g. delivery and pick-up of local purchases)
- Site induction for new staff members
- Perform other tasks as directed by the Head of Administration and Finance or the EMBO Director.
- Professional training in hospitality or administrative assistance
- At least 3 years relevant work experience in a service-oriented, preferably international, environment
- A friendly, open disposition
- A service-minded, personable and team-oriented attitude and the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Flexibility and the ability to handle and prioritise multiple simultaneous requests, even on short notice
- Pride in delivering high-quality professional services both to internal and external customers
- Excellent organisational and hands-on problem-solving skills
- Good command of standard office software and operating systems (Microsoft Office suite, Mac OS X an advantage)
- A driving licence (EU category B)
- Excellent written and oral English and German language skills
You might also have
- Experience with purchasing processes or facility management
- Experience in the hospitality sector
- A craftsperson’s qualification
- A license for passenger transport (Personenbeförderungsschein)
- Additional language skills.
Why join us
The EMBO offices are located on the international EMBL life science research campus in Heidelberg, Germany. Heidelberg, home to around 150,000 people, is a lively university city. EMBO is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international science organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, pension scheme and health insurance, and educational and other family-related benefits where applicable. As a non-profit organisation, we have an informal and collegial working environment that is inspired by our dedication to working for a common greater good.
What else you need to know
The General Assistant reports to the Head of Administration and Finance. Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.