|Location:||EMBO (Heidelberg, Germany)|
|Contract Duration:||12 months|
|Grading:||4 or 5, depending on individual qualifications and experience|
|Closing Date:||30 June 2021|
EMBO stands for excellence in the life sciences. We support talented researchers at all stages of their careers in Europe and beyond, stimulate the exchange of scientific information, and help build a research environment where scientists can achieve their best work. The Courses & Workshops Programme funds over 90 courses and workshops attracting more than 11,000 participants every year, making it the largest funder of life science meetings in Europe. EMBO Courses & Workshops are organised by some of the leading scientists in their fields, and enjoy an excellent reputation throughout the world. In addition to providing financial support, EMBO assists organizers with the promotion of the meeting, as well as with the creation of a website with registration system and abstract submission facilities and the design of a poster.
EMBO is looking for the maternity cover for the Programme Officer for the Courses & Workshops Programme. The Programme Officer provides a range of technical and administrative support including:
- Liaise with meeting organizers to provide support services including: setting up websites, online registration systems, online questionnaires, designing posters and abstract book covers, sending EMBO promotional materials, and supporting the set-up of the EMBO online conference system, etc.
- Liaise with platform provider for technical questions and other third parties
- Support the development of sustainable conferencing practices and their implementation in the Courses & Workshops Programme
- Implement and construct front-end web interfaces (design, layout) for EMBO Courses & Workshops websites
- Designing posters and abstract book covers for meetings using scientific images provided by organizers
- Support the promotion of EMBO Courses & Workshops, including by social media.
- Monitor stocks of promotional material and order new supplies
- Monitor externally created websites for EMBO meetings
- Help in the general administration of the Courses & Workshops programme
- Periodically review documentation and guidelines
- Collate statistical, questionnaire and financial information and create reports as required
- Help in the organization of internal meetings, including preparation of documentation, event logistics, and minute taking
- Maintain a paper and electronic archive of relevant documentation
- Work closely with colleagues in the communications department
- Assist the Head of the Courses & Workshops Programme with related duties
- Perform additional tasks as required by the EMBO Director
- At least two years relevant administrative experience
- Experience working in a service-oriented environment, preferably in an international and/or scientific setting
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Software (particularly Word and Excel)
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator (basic skills sufficient)
- The ability to work on several projects concurrently, multitask and prioritise effectively to meet multiple deadlines
- A high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- The ability to work both autonomously and as part of a team
- Excellent time-management skills and a high degree of organisation
- A positive attitude and customer service focus
- Excellent written and oral English language skills
You might also have
- Experience using web-based content management systems (CMS) or blogging platforms
- Additional language skills
Why join us
The EMBO offices are located on the international EMBL life science research campus in Heidelberg, Germany. Heidelberg, home to around 150,000 people, is a lively university city. EMBO is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer. As a non-profit organisation, we have an informal and collegial working environment that is inspired by our dedication to working for a common greater good.
What else you need to know
The Programme Officer reports to the Head of the Courses & Workshops Programme. This is a 12-month maternity cover.