|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years (renewable)|
|Grading:||4, 5 or 6, depending on experience and qualifications|
|Closing Date:||22 April 2018|
EMBO stands for excellence in the life sciences. We enable the best science by supporting talented researchers, stimulating scientific exchange and advancing policies for a world-class European research environment.
EMBO is seeking an experienced Graphic Designer not only to design and create digital and printed materials for a number of EMBO communications activities, but also to bring the EMBO design to the next level. This is an ideal position for a motivated design professional with a keen eye for appealing and target group-oriented design in the setting of an international life science organization. The Graphic Designer reports to the Head of Marketing & Communications and is an integral member of the communications team, engaging the various external and internal target groups.
The EMBO Graphic Designer
- Drives the further development of the corporate design, defines and updates design guidelines, and implements them across EMBO
- Works closely with the Head of Marketing & Communications, the other communications team members and the EMBO Programme teams to further advance EMBO’s visibility and reputation
- Works closely with the EMBO web designer to produce key visuals and layouts for digital communications
- Works on all stages of the design process, from concept through to production, including of printed and online ads, brochures, posters, flyers, certificates, printed and online banners, the EMBO newsletter, e-mail campaigns, illustrations, covers, and collateral materials
- Helps to ensure consistent branding across communications channels
- Creates slide presentations to represent the organization’s activities and its communities
- Performs additional tasks as required by the EMBO Director
This position will occasionally require working outside of the normal working hours, in the evenings and/or during the weekend during programme meetings and other events.
Qualifications and Experience
We are looking for an experienced Graphic Design professional with a strong design aesthetic. A diverse portfolio showing outstanding conceptual skills and proficiency in typography, illustration and layout are a must. An interest in the field of molecular biology and an ability to analyze information and derive and create design concepts are crucial.
The ideal candidate has 3 to 5 years of design experience with technical and professional training. Experience in working in a service- and goal-oriented environment is desirable.
The ideal candidate should have the following skills:
- Proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop).
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Powerpoint, Excel).
- A good understanding of current web technologies and interface design, including proficiency in editing HTML/CSS and understanding responsive web design.
- Attention to detail, flexibility and excellent organizational skills in order to administer a range of activities in parallel.
- High quality- and result-oriented working habits with a desire to innovate in design.
- A team player – engaged, flexible, positive and enthusiastic.
- As the working language is English, excellent written and spoken English is required.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs
The EMBO offices are located on the international EMBL life science research campus in Heidelberg, Germany. Heidelberg, home to around 150,000 people, is a vibrant university city offering high quality of life. EMBO is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international science organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family-related benefits where applicable.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.