|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years|
|Closing Date:||14 June 2018 (extended until 28 June 2018)|
EMBO stands for excellence in the life sciences. We enable the best science by supporting talented researchers, stimulating scientific exchange and advancing policies for a world-class European research environment. EMBO Press publishes four prestigious scientific research journals, The EMBO Journal, EMBOreports, Molecular Systems Biology and EMBO Molecular Medicine. The EMBO headquarters, located on the EMBL campus in Heidelberg, provides a stimulating international scientific setting.
EMBO is seeking a highly motivated scientist with broad and international high-level research experience for the role of scientific editor jointly at EMBO Molecular Medicine and Molecular Systems Biology.
The editor has a diverse set of responsibilities towards ensuring that Molecular Systems Biology and EMBO Molecular Medicine, as well as the other EMBO Press journals publish peer-reviewed material of the highest quality and broad general interest. The scientific editor reports to the deputy Head of Scientific Publications, EMBO Press.
The successful candidate will be responsible for selecting research papers as well as commissioning reviews and commentaries in a number of subject areas for publication. The candidate will be expected to form extensive contacts to the scientific community and engage in regular travel to conferences and research institutions. The scientific editor will be involved in all publication activities at the four EMBO Press journals as well as other EMBO activities.
- In the assigned subject areas, critical evaluation of submitted manuscripts, identification of suitable reviewers/advisors and the communication of appropriate editorial criteria and decisions.
- Commissioning, peer review and developmental editing of reviews, commentaries and ‘News & Views’ articles in the assigned subject areas.
- The transfer of manuscript that meet EMBO Press publication policies for editorial production.
- Attendance of conferences and visits to research institutions to represent EMBO Molecular Medicine, the other three EMBO scientific publications, EMBO Press, as well as the other EMBO departments.
- The delivery of talks and training programmes related to scientific communication.
- Involvement in publicity and social media activities in assigned subject areas.
- Writing and editing of highlights, summaries and press releases in assigned subject areas.
- Involvement in the strategic development of EMBO Press publishing initiatives.
- Perform additional tasks as required by the Head of Scientific Publications or the EMBO Director.
This position will occasionally require working outside of the normal working hours, in the evenings or during the weekend during conferences or other events.
Qualifications and Experience
One or more successful postdocs; senior academic and/or editorial qualifications are welcome. We particularly welcome applications with international research experience in the fields of genome and systems biology, molecular medicine or translational sciences.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs
Please supply a CV as well as a short cover letter outlining why you are attracted to the position and how your background and expertise would benefit the journal and EMBO. Please include bibliographic information.
The EMBO offices are located on the international EMBL life science research campus in Heidelberg, Germany. Heidelberg, home to around 150,000 people, is a vibrant university city offering high quality of life. EMBO is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international science organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family-related benefits where applicable.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.