|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years|
|Closing Date:||19 August 2018|
EMBO stands for excellence in the life sciences. We support talented researchers at all stages of their careers, stimulate the exchange of scientific information, and help build a European research environment where scientists can achieve their best work. EMBO Press publishes four prestigious scientific research journals, The EMBO Journal, EMBOreports, Molecular Systems Biology and EMBO Molecular Medicine.
EMBO is seeking a highly motivated scientist with broad and international high-level research experience for the role of scientific editor at EMBO reports. The editor has a diverse set of responsibilities towards ensuring that EMBO reports and the other EMBO Press journals publish peer-reviewed material of the highest quality and broad general interest. The scientific editor reports to the Head of Scientific Publications, EMBO Press.
The successful candidate will be responsible for selecting research papers for peer review and publication, as well as commissioning reviews and commentaries in a number of subject areas. The candidate will be expected to form extensive contacts to the scientific community and engage in regular travel to conferences and research institutions. The scientific editor will be involved in publication activities at the four EMBO Press journals, as well as other EMBO activities.
- In the assigned subject areas, critical evaluation of submitted manuscripts, identification of suitable reviewers/advisors and the communication of appropriate editorial criteria and decisions to authors.
- Commissioning, peer review and developmental editing of high-level reviews, commentaries and ‘News & Views’ articles in the assigned subject areas.
- The transfer of manuscripts that meet EMBO Press editorial criteria and policies for production and publication.
- Attendance of conferences and visits to research institutions to represent EMBO reports, the other four EMBO scientific publications, EMBO Press, as well as the other EMBO departments.
- The delivery of talks and training programmes related to scientific publishing.
- Involvement in publicity and social media activities in assigned subject areas.
- Writing and editing of highlights, summaries and press releases in assigned subject areas.
- Involvement in the strategic development of EMBO Press publishing initiatives.
- Additional editorial responsibilities at The EMBO Journal, EMBO Molecular Medicine and Molecular Systems Biology and/or additional tasks as required by the Head of Scientific Publications or the EMBO Director.
This position will occasionally require working outside of the normal working hours, in the evenings or during the weekend.
Qualifications and Experience
One or more successful postdocs; senior academic and/or editorial qualifications are welcome. We particularly welcome applications from experts in one or more of the following subject areas: cytoskeleton, cell cycle, autophagy, cell death, metabolism, RNA, chromatin, stem cells.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs
Please supply a CV as well as a short cover letter outlining why you are attracted to the position and how your background and expertise would benefit the journal and EMBO. Please include bibliographic information.
The EMBO offices are located on the international EMBL life science research campus in Heidelberg, Germany. Heidelberg, home to around 150,000 people, is a vibrant university city offering a high quality of life. EMBO is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international science organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family-related benefits where applicable.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.