|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years|
|Grading:||5 or 6 depending on experience and qualifications|
|Closing Date:||30 November 2020|
EMBL Grenoble is located on the EPN Campus in Grenoble, France and has a very active research programme in structural molecular biology including methods and instrumentation development. Together with its neighboring Campus institutes, the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF), the Institut Laue-Langevin (ILL) and the Institut de Biologie Structurale (IBS) it forms the Partnership for Structural Biology (PSB), which runs common infrastructures for integrated structural biology. In particular, EMBL has a close collaboration with the ESRF to provide user access to the world-leading X-ray source and cryoEM facilities. EMBL, on behalf of the PSB partners, is seeking to recruit a Joint Safety Officer who will be responsible for all aspects of safety in the EMBL building (ILL20) and in the joint PSB building (Carl-Ivar Brändén Building, CIBB).
- Ensuring that safety regulations in the EMBL and PSB buildings comply with the EMBL Rules and Regulations, in particular with EMBL and PSB Safety Policy and with French law. - Ensuring that all staff and users are informed about, trained in and comply with these regulations. - Co-ordinating actions with the Head of the Health and Safety Office at EMBL Heidelberg and other EMBL sites - Applying for and renewing as appropriate administrative licenses (e.g. genetically modified organisms and use of pathogens (AFSSAPS), ANSM: Agence Nationale de Securité du Médicament) - Providing advice, maintaining and monitoring safe working conditions and in particular biological, chemical and radiation safety in all relevant EMBL and PSB laboratories. - Being in charge of the hazardous waste management and safety equipment verification. - Maintaining up to date the EMBL risk assessment - Establishing prevention plans for external companies - Organising annual meetings of the EMBL Internal Safety Committee and CIBB Safety Committee - Participation in the campus CSSCT (Commission de Santé, de Sécurité et des Conditions de Travail) meetings - Assuring the follow-up of the security controls of equipment (fume hoods, ventilation) and buildings ( statutory controls) - Responsibility for sanitary rules (e.g. COVID-19) in liaison with the site doctor and the EMBL Grenoble Head of administration - Liaising with ILL regarding radio-active sources - Maintaining the catalogue and overseeing the inventory of chemicals The successful candidate will be under the management responsibility of the EMBL, reporting to the Head of EMBL Grenoble. The Joint Safety Officer will liaise closely with the Head of Health and Safety Office in Heidelberg and they will meet at least once a year. He/she will work in close collaboration with the ESRF, ILL, CNRS and UGA safety groups and the Common Site Joint Medical Service.
- Applicants should have a university qualification in Biology or Biochemistry and /or an appropriate qualification as safety engineer.
- He/She should have at least two years experience working as a safety officer in a comparable research environment.
- An excellent knowledge of French laboratory safety regulations is required, as is a good working knowledge of English and French.
- This applicant should have excellent communication skills, as the post holder will work in a busy and challenging, international environment interacting with scientists, technical and administrative staff from diverse institutes.
- The candidate will be expected to show considerable initiative and have a strong, confident personality.
- The candidate should be familiar with relevant office computer use.
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation.
What else you need to know
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.