|Staff Category:||Postdoctoral Fellow|
|Contract Duration:||2 years|
|Closing Date:||4 February 2021|
An ERC-funded postdoctoral position in structural biology is available in the laboratory of Dr. Wojciech Galej at EMBL Grenoble, France. We are looking for a highly motivated and ambitious individual to join the team investigating the structure and function of large RNA-protein complexes. Our group is interested in various aspects of gene expression, including pre-mRNA splicing, snRNP biogenesis, and other related processes. The particular focus of this position will be structural investigations of the non-canonical splicing pathways in mammalian cells. We use a multidisciplinary approach to tackle complex biochemical problems by combining cryo-EM, X-ray crystallography, and other biochemical and biophysical methods.
- Taking up and leading a challenging structural biology project
- Designing and performing experimental procedures
- Analysing and interpreting experimental data
- Taking part in group meetings, unit seminars and international conferences
- Staying up to date with the literature and latest methodological developments relevant to the project
- PhD in molecular biology or a related field
- Extensive experience in biochemistry and molecular biology
- Previous experience in single particle cryo-EM and/or x-ray crystallography
- Independence and ability to solve problems
- Good time management and pro-active attitude
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a team
Why join us
EMBL is one of the world’s leading research organizations in biomedical science. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg, with additional sites in Grenoble, Hamburg, Hinxton, Rome and Barcelona. EMBL Grenoble enables access to state-of-the-art structural biology technologies with the local EM facility being equipped with the T12 microscope and 200kV Glacios/Falcon III. Additionally, we have a regular access to high-end microscopes at EMBL Heidelberg and ESRF. Other facilities include ESRF synchrotron X-ray beamlines, neutron scattering at the ILL, high-field NMR at the IBS as well as mammalian and insect cell facilities, biophysical platform, confocal microscopy and high-throughput crystallization platforms. In addition to local instrumentation, we have access to all EMBL core facilities located in Heidelberg. EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family-friendly working environment.
What else you need to know
Please note that appointments on fixed-term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review. The exact responsibilities level will depend on the candidate’s profile. For additional information please contact Wojciech Galej: wgalej[at]embl.fr or visit our group website: https://www.embl.fr/research/unit/galej/index.htm.