|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years|
|Grading:||5 or 6, depending on qualification and experience|
|Closing Date:||22 March 2020|
EMBL is seeking for a highly motivated science professional to support the operation of the EMBL Imaging Centre (EMBL IC) regarding all its services, especially regarding user access, engagement and training. Due to rapid developments in new imaging technologies, the pace of biological and medical discoveries has increased at an unprecedented speed in the 21st century. For the first time, high-resolution electron and light microscopy technologies enable us to directly visualise the molecular machinery of life under native conditions. Consequently, cutting-edge microscopy is becoming a central technological platform for the life sciences. Currently, few scientists have access to the latest imaging technologies, as the instruments are complex in their development, set-up, maintenance and usage. EMBL is currently constructing the EMBL Imaging Centre to make the latest imaging technologies available as quickly as possible to a broad, international user community of researchers from academia to industry. A broad spectrum of imaging technologies covering the scales from structure determination of single protein complexes to imaging whole organisms will be offered, with a special emphasis on cross modality capabilities (correlative microscopy) and bespoke user project support from sample preparation to image analysis provided by dedicated expert service staff.
The successful applicant supports the Team Leaders of the EMBL IC in managing all aspects of the EMBL IC’s operation. S/He will be integrated in teams of application specialists and imaging technology developers and work closely with the Team Leaders for Advanced Light as well as Electron Microscopy. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Coordination of user access to state-of-the-art imaging technologies, including quality assessment of user applications and management of long-term user projects jointly with the EMBL IC service teams;
- Communication and outreach activities to engage with the EMBL IC’s user community and to represent the facility in national and international events;
- Organisation of training activities and courses, related to application of imaging technologies and image analysis, for users and facility staff, as well as strategic and scientific events;
- Support in the management and coordination of academic and industrial collaborations;
- Support in external funding acquisition and grant management;
- Assistance in the recruitment of EMBL IC staff and research personnel.
We are looking for a professional with an open attitude, the drive to deliver, the ability to work well-organised, rigorous, creatively and independently, and who enjoys working in an international interdisciplinary team within a highly collaborative atmosphere.
- PhD (or equivalent) in the life sciences followed by additional professional experience in academia or industry (postdoctoral training, facility management, project management, etc.) .
- Experience in scientific project management in a competitive research environment.
- Ability to effectively interact with multiple stakeholders on an international and interdisciplinary level, including public and private funders as well as industry partners.
- Excellent organisational, management, multi-tasking, prioritising, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Passionate about science and intellectually curious with excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to proactively identify issues/trends and solutions.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
You might also have
- Application and/or development of biological imaging technologies
- User support in microscopy facilities
- Funding acquisition and reporting duties
- Procurement and financial reporting
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits. Excellent child care facility is available on campus.
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1600 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome. Our mission is to offer vital services in training scientists, students and visitors at all levels; to develop new instruments and methods in the life sciences and actively engage in technology transfer activities, and to integrate European life science research. The working language of the institute is English. In your online application, you will be asked to include a cover letter, CV and the contact details of 3 referees. Further information about the position can be obtained from Stephanie Alexander, (firstname.lastname@example.org), project manager of the EMBL IC. Interviews are planned for late April 2020. The initial contract is for a period of three years with the possibility of a fixed-term extension.