|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years|
|Closing Date:||12 April 2020|
EMBL is an international research organization covering many fields of modern biology, where dataset sizes are doubling every 18 months. EMBL’s data science centre provides expertise, advice, hands-on collaboration and training for scientists across EMBL, and is searching for an applied statistician. The position will be co-affiliated with the research group of Wolfgang Huber (www.huber.embl.org). The consultancy engagements typically range all the way from brief high-level methodological advice to in-depth collaborations and solving novel statistical challenges emerging from new research data, methods and technologies. The emphasis of the position is on providing excellent service, in addition, it offers opportunities to make own research contributions. The job holder will be expected to collaborate and interact with many scientists across EMBL and also with partner networks (Elixir, de.NBI). EMBL offers an international, interdisciplinary, and highly collaborative work environment.
- Be part of a team that provides data science and bioinformatics support to EMBL researchers, as a specialist for statistical methodology.
- Provide statistical consulting on biological data analysis, experimental design, statistically sound interpretation and scientific presentation of results.
- Provide training (2-5 days courses) in the area of computational statistics and data science in biology.
- A PhD or higher education degree (e.g., MSc) and relevant work experience in statistics or bioinformatics with solid theoretical foundations in probability and applied statistics
- Programming skills in R
- Strong interest in computational statistics, open science and good scientific practice
- Experience in teaching
- Experience in biostatistical consulting
- Good communication skills in written and spoken English
- Basic experience in analysis of high-throughput biological data (genomics, transcriptomics, epigenetics, proteomics, etc.)
- An interest in cutting-edge molecular biology and its data-generating technologies
You might also have
- Experience in analyzing next-generation sequencing (NGS), imaging, proteomics, or microfluidics data sets
- Experience in R as a package developer or maintainer
- Knowledge of Python or other scripting languages
- Knowledge of scientific authoring frameworks (LaTeX, Rmarkdown) and R-Shiny would be considered a plus
- Experience with version control, method benchmarking, or data management technologies
Why join us
You enjoy team science and are enthusiastic about contributing your skills in a world-class research environment. EMBL holds the world’s most widely used biodata repositories and is one of the largest producers of data in molecular biology, and advancing data sciences is very much within the spirit of the institution. The advertised position also offers the opportunity to help shape future developments of data science and open science in biology, such as publication and communication best practices. EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a collegial and family-friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family and the availability of an excellent child care facility on campus. EMBL has a large thriving community of bioinformaticians, working in close collaboration with experimental scientists and with strong links to other local and international scientists and institutions.
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1600 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome. Our mission is to offer vital services in training scientists, students and visitors at all levels; to develop new instruments and methods in the life sciences and actively engage in technology transfer activities, and to integrate European life science research. Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review. If you have any questions prior to your application for this job position, please contact Wolfgang Huber (firstname.lastname@example.org).