|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years|
|Grading:||5 or 6, depending on qualifications and experience|
|Closing Date:||6 December 2020|
We are looking for an image analysis specialist to join the Advanced Light Microscopy (LM) Team led by Timo Zimmermann at the new EMBL Imaging Centre (EMBL IC). EMBL is currently constructing the EMBL IC to make the latest imaging technologies available to a broad, international user community of researchers from academia to industry. The Advanced Light Microscopy Team will work in close collaboration with the Electron Microscopy Team to offer a broad spectrum of electron and light microscopy technologies with special emphasis on correlative microscopy, covering all scales from structure determination of single protein complexes to imaging whole organisms. Advanced and mostly pre-commercial light microscopy will include the latest (cryo-) super-resolution, light-sheet and multiphoton technologies. Dedicated service staff will provide bespoke user project support from sample preparation to image analysis. The successful applicant will be part of a team comprising microscopy engineers, application specialists and image analysts having the mission of highest-level user service provision and technology development. Before opening of the EMBL IC the successful candidate will work on selected pilot projects and microscopy technologies integrated in EMBL’s existing research groups and facility service teams. Other positions currently open in the EMBL IC:
- Image Analysis Specialist in Electron Microscopy (link to the position)
The successful applicant will be responsible for:
- Developing the software framework for new image acquisition and data analysis workflows tailored to the EMBL IC services.
- Analysis of advanced light microscopy data, including super-resolution and single molecule analysis and correlative light and electron microscopy techniques.
- Ensuring smooth running of the software architecture and computing infrastructure.
- Introducing and assisting new users to data analysis workflows and assisting in their execution.
- Staying up to date with the latest developments in image analysis methods and technologies.
- Helping with the organisation and teaching of advanced light microscopy courses for the EMBL IC user community.
- MSc in the computer sciences, physics, engineering, life sciences or related disciplines.
- Extensive experience in image analysis and software development, experience in image processing techniques for biological applications will be considered as an advantage.
- Experience in programming.
- Experience in machine learning.
- Strong motivation to support and train users.
- Excellent communication and organisation skills.
- Fluency in English.
You might also have
- Experience in database design and administration.
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits. Excellent child care facility is available on campus.
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1600 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome. Our mission is to offer vital services in training scientists, students and visitors at all levels; to develop new instruments and methods in the life sciences and actively engage in technology transfer activities, and to integrate European life science research. The working language of the institute is English. In your online application, you will be asked to include a cover letter, CV and the contact details of 3 referees. Further information about the position can be obtained from Stephanie Alexander (firstname.lastname@example.org), project manager of the EMBL IC. Interviews are planned for 11 and 12 January 2021. The initial contract is for a period of three years with the possibility of a fixed-term extension.