|Contract Duration:||6 months|
|Closing Date:||29 January 2021|
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the world’s leading research institutions, and Europe’s flagship life sciences organisation. An intergovernmental organisation of 27 Member States, EMBL operates sites in France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom, and provides life science training and service programs globally. EMBL is looking for a highly motivated and enthusiastic Graphic Designer for a short-term project to finalise the design and implementation of a visitor exhibition at EMBL Heidelberg in Germany. The visitor exhibition will highlight the importance of curiosity-driven fundamental research, providing the public with insights into molecular biology and the power of imaging technologies, and the widespread societal impact of EMBL research. The conceptual design has been completed and technical design is currently underway. You will work with a small project team, our external consultants, and our internal Design team to finalise the planning, development and delivery of the visual content for the visitor exhibition. The exhibition will include inviting and inspirational visual material in both print and digital media. This role is based in Heidelberg, Germany and you would ideally start in May 2021 and stay on board until October 2021 (some flexibility is possible depending on project timelines and your availability). The timeline and duration of this position are linked to availability of external funding. We are an international, friendly and supportive team, with ties to scientists and professionals throughout European and global life sciences and supportive technologies.
- Planning and developing visual content for all interpretative exhibition items based on the exhibition’s existing conceptual design, ensuring a positive learning curve for the visitor supported by the exhibition visuals.
- Maintaining standards such as word counts, consistency of colour, typography and the use of images (following corporate guidelines).
- Preparing and managing the artwork / production files for creation of graphic panels and digital media based on the exhibition’s existing conceptual design.
- Coordinating with the Content Writer to ensure adequate spacing is accounted for in the artwork.
- Designing accurate charts and graphs from data.
- Following EMBL’s approval processes to ensure all stakeholders are on board with the developed visual content.
- Close collaboration with the Exhibition Designers (external) and Content Writer to develop visual content.
- Collaboration with the Communications Team (specifically the inhouse Design Team) to align the exhibition designs with EMBL’s corporate visual language.
- Prior experience creating illustrations and graphics with a solid grasp of design concepts.
- Comfortable working in Adobe creative Suite and any 3D rendering software.
- Illustration skills with the ability to apply different illustration styles for various audiences.
- Knowledge of working with brand guidelines and maintaining brand vision throughout all visual material.
- Enthusiasm for the design process and attentiveness to different project goals.
- Ability to work in a collaborative group environment.
- Creative thinker, proactive, self-starter and good work ethic.
- An excellent command of spoken and written English.
You might also have
- Experience in visual scientific illustration / infographics / diagrams is advantageous.
- Experience in design-related work for visitor centres / exhibitions.
- Experience in a research environment, or understanding of scientific research topics.
- German knowledge is advantageous.
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment.
What else you need to know
Appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.