|Contract Duration:||1 year / 12 months|
|Closing Date:||29 January 2021|
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the world’s leading research institutions, and Europe’s flagship life sciences organisation. An intergovernmental organisation of 27 member states, EMBL operates sites in France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the UK, and provides life science training and service programmes globally. EMBL is looking for a highly motivated and enthusiastic exhibition Content Writer for a short-term project to finalise the design and implementation of a visitor exhibition at EMBL Heidelberg in Germany. The visitor exhibition will highlight the importance of curiosity-driven fundamental research, providing the public with insights into molecular biology and the power of imaging technologies, and the widespread societal impact of EMBL research. The conceptual design has been completed and technical design is currently underway. You will work with a small project team, our external consultants, and our internal Content team to finalise the planning, development and delivery of the written content for the visitor exhibition. You will be responsible for writing fun, engaging, and informative text for graphical, audiovisual, and tactile exhibits, ensuring that content is accessible and engaging for target audiences and consistent in style and tone of voice. Experience in writing or editing texts about science is highly advantageous. This role is based in Heidelberg, Germany, and ideally you would start in March 2021 and stay on board until February 2022 (some flexibility is possible depending on project timelines and your availability). The timeline and duration of this position are linked to availability of external funding. We are an international, friendly, and supportive team, with ties to scientists and professionals throughout European and global life sciences and supportive technologies.
- Writing engaging and informative text for all exhibition items.
- Carrying out background research on the scientific topics to be included in the exhibition, both online and by interacting with EMBL scientists and other staff.
- Ensuring that all written content is suitable for the exhibition’s target audience groups.
- Ensuring that all content is aligned with the exhibition’s tone of voice and key principles.
- Ensuring that all content is stylistically consistent through provision of a style guide that defines uniform terminology, names, and specific usages.
- Repackaging existing content for specific exhibition items.
- Following EMBL’s processes to ensure that all stakeholders approve the developed content.
- Collaborating closely with the Exhibition Designers (external) and Graphic Designer to develop visual content that meets design specifications.
- Collaborating with other members of the Communications department to align the exhibition content with EMBL’s corporate communications strategy.
- Collaborating with various stakeholders to develop targeted written content for the exhibition.
We’re looking for someone who delivers projects independently, has a great eye for detail, is well organised, has an open and professional attitude, and has the ability to communicate confidently and clearly.
- Excellent English writing and general communication skills.
- Experience of developing written content for visitor centres or exhibitions.
- Experience in a writing, editing, or proofreading role.
- The ability to understand complex scientific concepts and articulate these in engaging ways appropriate to a variety of target audiences.
- A high level of attention to detail.
- The ability to respond positively to constructive feedback.
- The ability to work in a collaborative group environment.
- Proven experience of using creative thinking to solve problems.
You might also have
- A background in science would be highly advantageous.
- Experience of working on video, digital interactives, or other multimedia content.
- Knowledge of German is advantageous.
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family-friendly working environment.
What else you need to know
Appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.