|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years (renewable)|
|Grading:||4, 5 or 6 depending on qualifications and experience|
|Closing Date:||28 February 2021|
EMBL is looking for a Strategy Officer to support activities in strategy development and deployment, planning and reporting. You will report to the Head of Strategy and work closely with the Director-General and other members of the Strategy team. This role will support consultative processes involving stakeholders across the organisation as well as the identifying, developing and maintaining key indicators of performance and impact of the organisation. We are an international, friendly and supportive team, with ties to scientists and professionals throughout EMBL. This position is based in Heidelberg, Germany, but will require frequent international travel, including regular travel to EMBL’s five other sites.
The position includes the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Supporting EMBL’s Director-General in developing institutional and scientific strategy, in particular in the context of the 5-year EMBL Programmes ;
- Support the management of projects within EMBL, frame issues, problem-solve (both creatively and analytically), synthesise analyses and present findings. Supporting consultation processes within EMBL and other scientific communities ;
- Researching topics of strategic interest to EMBL and assisting with developing proposals for new initiatives ;
- Following developments at EMBL and having an always current overview of the scientific developments at EMBL and at possible relevant external stakeholder institutes to identify links and new opportunities ;
- Participate in drafting and regular updates of internal strategy and operational process documents as well as write reports and summaries of internal and external workshops and meetings ;
- Delivering institutional analysis, data collection, reporting and benchmarking including defining the reporting requirements of the organisation to inform the updating of existing and the establishing of new reporting systems at EMBL ;
- Summarising, presenting and visualising organisational data and indicators for diverse communication outlets, including presentations, reports and digital communication ;
- Preparing strategic presentations, speeches and briefings for the Director-General for scientific stakeholder engagement, advocacy and general communications.
- You will have a degree in the life sciences, ideally a PhD, and relevant experience as a project or program manager or an analyst in a research environment. You will have a passion for life-science research and be interested in researching and shaping scientific strategy. Some knowledge of molecular biology is essential; knowledge of environmental or ecosystems science is an asset.
- You will be capable of quickly synthesizing complex concepts and will enjoy working with both research information, numbers and statistics. You will know how to transform data from different institutional sources into meaningful indicators and build a convincing argument based on a variety of data types and sources.
- You will have excellent organisational, analytical, writing and communication skills. You will have an eye for detail and will be an advanced user of Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint. Knowledge of research information systems is an asset.
- Experience in a role requiring collaboration would be ideal as well as a demonstrated ability to work with flexibility, efficiency and diplomacy both individually and as part of a complex team effort; ability to work in a cooperative and collegial fashion. The abilities to work to deadlines and handle a number of tasks simultaneously are essential.
- An excellent command of spoken and written English is necessary.
You might also have
- Knowledge of French, Italian, Spanish and/or German is an asset.
- Experience working in an international environment or communicating with an international audience is desirable.
Why join us
We’re an international, friendly and supportive team, with ties to scientists and professionals throughout EMBL and beyond. This role is based in Heidelberg, Germany. EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. Appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.
What else you need to know
EMBL is a world-leading life-science research organisation funded by over 20 governments. We are international, innovative, interdisciplinary and highly collaborative, with over 1700 employees from many nations working on six sites near Heidelberg, Barcelona, Cambridge, Grenoble, Hamburg and Rome. Our mission is to perform basic research in molecular biology; to offer vital services to scientists in the member states; to train scientists, students and visitors at all levels; to develop new instruments and methods in the life sciences and actively engage in technology transfer activities, and to integrate European life science research.