|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years|
|Grading:||4, 5 or 6 depending on experience and qualifications|
|Closing Date:||14 March 2021|
The Crocker group at EMBL Heidelberg is recruiting a technical / research assistant. The group’s' research focuses on the regulation of gene expression, development, and evolution in Drosophila. We are recruiting a technical / research assistant to act as a “lab manager” in our team.
The ideal candidate will participate in various projects in collaboration with the other team members, including pre- and postdoctoral researchers, lead technological development projects, and help with lab management. Responsibilities may include:
- Ensure the maintenance and/or the amplification of the group’s fly stocks.
- The production of transgenic Drosophila lines (cloning, CRISPR / Cas9, fly crosses, genotyping).
- Set up new genomics or imaging pipelines.
- Inventory and order management, organization of common tasks, point of contact for sales and facilities, etc.
- Team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and rigorously.
- Experience in Drosophila genetics, micro-injection, molecular biology (genotyping, cloning, RNA
extraction, etc.), RNA in situ hybridization, and confocal imaging would be advantageous.
- Ability to communicate (spoken and written) fluently in English (lab’s working language).
You might also have
- Ability to communicate in German would be a plus.
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family and the availability of an excellent child care facility on campus.
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1700 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome. Our mission is to offer vital services in training scientists, students and visitors at all levels; to develop new instruments and methods in the life sciences and actively engage in technology transfer activities, and to integrate European life science research. Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.