|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years|
|Grading:||4; depending on experience and qualifications|
|Closing Date:||30 May 2021|
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations worldwide. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Barcelona (Spain), Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton near Cambridge (UK) and Rome (Italy). EMBL is looking for an Administrator to join the Cell Biology and Biophysics Unit at EMBL Heidelberg. You will work within a vibrant unit of young scientists from all over the world who value your administrative support in their quest to discover how life works at the molecular level. You will work with a close-knit and fun team of administrative support staff at EMBL.
The Unit Administrator provides a wide range of administrative support for all activities of the Cell Biology and Biophysics Unit. The successful candidate will act as the main point of contact to the Unit and will need strong interpersonal skills, a high level of accuracy and the ability to prioritise tasks as well as multitask. The successful candidate will also be expected to temporarily perform the duties of the Personal Assistant to the Head of Unit when needed. General administrative support:
- Providing administrative support to the Head of Unit, Cell Biology and Biophysics Group/Team Leaders and research groups,
- acting as point of contact for the Unit and answering general queries, and
- liaising with other departments within EMBL as required.
- Organising seminars and scientific visitors to the Unit,
- assisting with conference and travel bookings,
- supporting recruitment,
- financial administration, including processing of reimbursements, invoices and reconciliation of payments,
- event management for up to 150 people,
- managing Unit communications and mailing lists,
- coordinating staff meetings and Unit social activities,
- handling complex and time sensitive shipments,
- Supporting the Head of Unit PA when required,
- diary management for the Head of Unit, and
- preparing meeting agendas and takes committee meeting minutes
- Relevant education, training and work experience, preferably in an international environment.
- The ability to provide a broad range of administrative functions.
- Solid knowledge of standard office software, especially Excel.
- The ability to observe deadlines and prioritise tasks.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills, particularly with regards to the completion of multiple parallel tasks as well as a strong attention to detail.
- Persistence in the face of difficult problems or challenges and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
- A service-oriented approach to interactions with researchers and scientists.
- The capacity to work independently as well as a part of an international team.
- A self-motivated personality.
- Fluency in English with excellent written and oral communication skills.
You might also have
- Working experience in a scientific environment.
- Good working knowledge of German.
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits. Excellent child care facility is available on campus.
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1600 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome. Our mission is to offer vital services in training scientists, students and visitors at all levels; to develop new instruments and methods in the life sciences and actively engage in technology transfer activities, and to integrate European life science research. The working language of the institute is English. In your online application, you will be asked to include a cover letter, CV and the contact details of 3 referees. Further information about the position can be obtained from Adele Rickerby, (firstname.lastname@example.org), Personal Assistant to the Head of Unit. Interviews are planned for June 2021. The initial contract is for a period of three years with the possibility of a fixed-term extension.