|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years|
|Grading:||4, 5 or 6 depending on experience and qualifications|
|Closing Date:||20 June 2021|
We are looking for a Staff Research Scientist/Bioinformatician to join the group of Dr. Maria Zimmermann-Kogadeeva in the Genome Biology Unit at the EMBL Heidelberg, Germany. Our group combines mathematical modelling, multi-omics data integration, bioinformatics and laboratory experiments to investigate microbial metabolism and metabolic interactions in microbial communities and between microbes and their surroundings.
Your role involves conducting own independent research projects, engagement in scientific collaborations, as well as generic bioinformatics and data analysis support of the group. Research questions include, but are not limited to, microbial functional genomics, modelling metabolic interactions, and building predictive models of microbiome functions. Your tasks will include development and maintenance of bioinformatics software for different research projects, adaptation of existing code and pipelines, and providing programming and statistics support to the group members. The position involves large scale data handling from mass-spectrometry and sequencing experiments (metabolomics, proteomics, NGS), and establishing infrastructure and data management systems within the group and externally.
- A Ph.D. degree or equivalent working experience in bioinformatics, computational biology, biostatistics, or related subjects
- Substantial experience in scientific computing and/or software development
- Experience with large-scale data management and analysis
- Advanced skills in a high level programming language (>2 years of experience)
- Experience in data analysis, statistics and visualization, e.g. in Python, R or MatLab
- Ability to work independently and in a team, and at the interface between life sciences and informatics
- Willingness to learn new skills and programming languages as project require
- Good communication, interpesonal and English language skills
You might also have
- Experience with metagenomics and metatranscriptomics analyses
- Familiarity with high-throughput sequencing, proteomics and/or metabolomics data acquisition and analysis
- Experience in multi-omics data integration
- Familiarity with genome-scale metabolic modelling
- Familiarity with machine learning methods and approaches
- Experience in mathematical modeling of dynamic systems (e.g. MatLab SimBiology, Python ModSimPy)
- Experience with compute clusters (e.g. SGE, slurm) and pipelines of batch jobs (e.g. Snakemake, Luigi)
- Dry- or wet-lab experience in microbial sciences or microbiome research
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family and the availability of an excellent child care facility on campus.
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1700 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome. Our mission is to offer vital services in training scientists, students and visitors at all levels; to develop new instruments and methods in the life sciences and actively engage in technology transfer activities, and to integrate European life science research. Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.