|Staff Category:||Staff member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years (renewable)|
|Grading:||4, 5 or 6; depending on qualification and experience|
|Closing Date:||14 February 2017|
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations in the world. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton (UK) and Monterotondo (Italy).
The EIPP Programme Administrator shares all duties involved in the day-to-day operation of the PhD programme. He/she will act as a first point of reference for graduate students and will constantly communicate with the Dean of Graduate Studies and closely interact with the colleagues within the EMBL Internal Training Group. The postholder is expected to work at a high level of autonomy and to pro-actively handle all of his/her tasks. In particular, he/she will be involved in setting up and monitoring the EIPP budget and expenditures, managing partnerships of the EMBL International PhD Programme with universities, and in establishing, curating and improving a database of current and past PhD students for statistical purposes. He/she will further be involved in continuously developing and applying procedures to facilitate effective and efficient business systems within the Graduate Office, interfacing with all groups and stakeholders at EMBL involved in the International PhD Programme.
Other general responsibilities include:
- Handling of all incoming applications;
- Organizing interviews of short-listed candidates, including travel and accommodation arrangements;
- Preparing PhD contracts and contract extensions;
- Surveying student reporting duties;
- Reviewing and editing the PhD Programme Brochure and Poster in cooperation with Strategy and Communications and updating of web pages;
- Drafting and placing of advertisements;
- Organizing Predoctoral Core Course;
- Coordinating student registration at universities;
- Fostering communication with all stakeholders of EIPP including student body, EMBL faculty, funding bodies outside EMBL, etc.;
- Arranging and preparing minutes of Graduate Committee Meetings (6-8 annually);
- Maintaining database records on all students; and
- Preparing statistics about the EIPP.
Qualifications and Experience
The successful applicant should have an advanced university degree, demonstrated effective organizational skills and ability to work in an independent and proactive manner. Relevant experience in the area of budget administration and of establishment and maintenance of databases is desirable. Previous exposure to university marketing and international relations focusing on training and education especially in the member states would be beneficial.
The position requires excellent administrative and organisational abilities as well as outstanding interpersonal and communication skills. Effective multi-tasking and the ability to work with tight deadlines are also required.
The ability to pay attention to details, to ensure that confidential matters are dealt with efficiently and in a timely manner is essential. The position requires an outstanding capability to work in an international team and the ability to establish effective channels of communication.
Qualifications should include a first-rate command of written and spoken English. Spoken and written knowledge of German is highly desirable as is fluency in other languages, especially French.
Please apply online through
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.