|Contract Duration:||6 months|
|Closing Date:||31 January 2018|
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations in the world. The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Barcelona (Spain), Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton near Cambridge (UK) and Rome (Italy).
We are looking for a passionate and creative science communicator, who is interested in explaining,
promoting and advocating the work of EMBL to mainly a local German audience. In this role, you will work closely with other communicators throughout the organization and with press contacts. You will be involved in developing new outreach and public engagement formats and managing existing formats. Furthermore, you will have the possibility to join the science writers and widen your portfolio of science communication content
Day-to-day activities will include:
- Supporting the press office in German-language press requests
- Writing, editing and subediting content in German (and possibly also in English)
- Planning, managing and evaluating outreach activities
- Helping to develop and run a programme for on-site visits
You will join writers, designers, web producers and communicators in the Strategy and Communications team. We’re an international, friendly and supportive team, with ties to scientists and professionals throughout EMBL and beyond.
Qualifications and Experience
- Excellent German skills (native speaker or minimum C1)
- Good English skills (ideally B2 level and upwards)
- Ability to understand complex scientific concepts and articulate these in engaging ways appropriate to a variety of target audiences
- Creative thinking
- Experience in public engagement/outreach is a plus
- Experience in press relations is a plus
This is a training position suitable for a masters-level graduate looking to gain experience in science communications, public engagement and outreach or for scientists who want to get into science communications. Here’s what you’ll get:
- Experience working in an international, collaborative environment in one of the world’s most respected centres for basic life science research.
- Experience of the entire editorial cycle of corporate communications, from planning to delivery. You will build a portfolio of work that can include news pieces, features, social media posts, backgrounders and printed content.
This is a six month position with the possibility to extend for a further six months on mutual agreement. The position is based at EMBL’s site in Heidelberg, Germany. The position comes with a stipend and accommodation is provided.
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs. (sending a cover letter and a CV in English or German). Please feel free to include samples of your writing or other communications activities.
Deadline for applications is 31 January. The start date is ideally no longer than March 2018.