|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||3 years (renewable)|
|Grading:||6, 7 or 8, depending on experience and qualifications|
|Closing Date:||25 February 2018|
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), one of the highest ranked scientific research organizations in the world, is looking for a full stack developer who will actively participate in the development, deployment, and application of algorithms and software for analysis and visualization of big imaging mass spectrometry data.
This position is open in the Alexandrov Team within the European ERC Consolidator project METACELL on cutting-edge developments for spatial single-cell metabolomics and the US NIH Kidney Precision Medicine Program project on creating a molecular atlas of the kidney.
- Lead the technical front-end development
- Direct the development of our Vue.js-based front-end web application
- Learn cutting-edge technologies and apply them for the benefits of science and our users
- Prototype web applications for innovative emerging R&D projects
- Degree in Computer Science or a closely related degree
- Experience (either work or hobby) in implementing web applications
- Working knowledge of relational databases
- Knowledge of Git
- Being responsible and able to take ownership of your work
- Fluent in English
Will Be a Plus
- Interest in or practical knowledge of modern web frameworks
- Proficiency in CSS and the HTML magic
- Experience with AWS or another cloud provider
- Familiarity with unit testing, integration testing, continuous integration, Docker
- Knowledge of Linux
About the Alexandrov Team
You will be a critical part of the dynamic, interdisciplinary, international and cross-cultural team where we work at the intersection of biology, chemistry, and computer science. We use advanced software engineering to develop professional open-source software for data science, computational biology, and data visualization. Our award-winning work was published in top-level bioinformatics and methods journals and was highlighted by various scientific journals (Nature, PNAS, PLoS) and public media (CNN, Der Spiegel, Wired, Health, BusinessInsider).
You will contribute to the frontier of science at the intersection of imaging, computational biology, and big data analysis. You will develop web applications for analysis and visualization of big molecular data generated by imaging mass spectrometry and novel single-cell technologies. You will work with users from throughout the world applying our tools in biology, medicine, and pharma. You will work with partners developing other online services, in particular those from European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI).
Software Engineering Technologies We Use
We love using modern software technologies including, but not limited to, Python 3, scipy, pandas, TypeScript, GraphQL, Node.js, Vue.js, Docker, CircleCI, git, Amazon Web Services, Apache Spark and Ansible. Our main software product is METASPACE: http://metaspace2020.eu, https://github.com/METASPACE2020
- Attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organization
- Possibility for position extension, depending on circumstances at the time of the review
- Flat hierarchies and freedom to make decisions and grow professionally
- Access to learning resources, training and budget for conference visit
- Creative, diverse and international environment
- Broad spectrum of technological challenges
- Visa sponsorship and relocation
- Organized sport groups
- Regular team events
- German classes
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs
The Headquarters Laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton near Cambridge (UK), Rome (Italy) and Barcelona (Spain).