|Contract Duration:||1 year|
|Grading:||3 or 4; depending on qualification and experience|
|Closing Date:||30 June 2018|
Science in School, the European journal for science teachers, is looking for an editorial assistant to join their small editorial team based within the strategy and communications department at the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) in Heidelberg, Germany. The journal highlights the best in teaching and current research across all the sciences, for an international audience. It covers teaching projects, new scientific advances and interviews with inspiring scientists and teachers. The journal is published and funded by the international research organisations of EIROforum.
The editorial assistant will provide administrative and editorial support to assist the editors with the overall content creation and production of the journal, both online and in print.
Responsibilities will include:
- Routine correspondence with authors, reviewers and subscribers
- Proofreading content, online and in print
- Checking articles as required, including formatting article references
- Maintaining and updating documents and systems
- Picture research, including securing and documenting rights to images or other supportive materials
- Preparing and uploading content to the website using the content management system Drupal
- Compiling the quarterly email newsletter
- Supporting the distribution of print copies
- Generating analytics reports from website data
- Assisting with the development of the journal’s social media channels
- Providing other support to the editors as needed
- Strong organisational and administrative skills
- Familiarity with using editorial style guides to proofread and check text
- A proven eye for detail
- Ability to work well in a team and under pressure
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, especially Microsoft Word
- Experience of picture research
- Experience of working in publishing or other deadline-driven environment
- Qualifications or interest in science and/or education
- Ability to quickly pick up new digital tools
- Knowledge and experience of using social media platforms
- Familiarity with Adobe Acrobat and Photoshop
Please submit a covering letter and CV, with contact details of two referees, through our online application system.
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) is one of the highest ranked scientific research organisations worldwide. The headquarters laboratory is located in Heidelberg (Germany), with additional sites in Barcelona (Spain), Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton near Cambridge (UK) and Rome (Italy).
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation.
Flexible working hours or an element of remote work may be considered.