|Staff Category:||Staff Member|
|Contract Duration:||5 years (renewable)|
|Grading:||Commensurate with experience and qualifications|
|Closing Date:||01 July 2018|
The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) carries out fundamental research in the molecular life sciences and is one of the highest ranked scientific research organizations in the world. EMBL is a European intergovernmental organisation with its main laboratory in Heidelberg (Germany) and additional sites in Barcelona (Spain), Grenoble (France), Hamburg (Germany), Hinxton (UK) and Rome (Italy).
EMBL has a fully established and successful fundraising office with a growing network of top level supporters. To enter into the next phase, EMBL prepares for a large capital campaign around its 50th anniversary in 2024, which will focus on priority projects for EMBL’s future addressing pressing societal needs and opportunities.
The Head of Resource Development reports directly to the Director of EMBL and leads EMBL’s Office of Resource Development, overseeing the Friends of EMBL and Corporate Partnership programs as well as all other fundraising activities of the laboratory. The office is currently staffed with five team members covering the aforementioned areas including office coordination.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
• Provide advice and support to EMBL leadership on integrating philanthropic objectives into strategic EMBL initiatives
• Further develop EMBL’s fundraising strategy in support of its missions and key objectives
• Communicate EMBL’s Case for Support and the societal importance of its fundraising projects
• Closely cooperate with EMBL senior management, communications and other departments to ensure that fundraising activities are strategically embedded and synergistically executed
• Collaborate with EMBL expert scientists and project leaders to ensure that fundraising projects are based in solid science
• Develop individual contact strategies for prospects, and cultivate major gift prospects
• Implement an effective stewardship program that intensifies EMBL’s relationship with its donors
• Oversee cultivation and stewardship events for major donors and prospects
• Employ Moves Management techniques to manage the process of identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major donors and prospects
• Engage external volunteer leadership through the EMBL Fundraising Board
• Involve EMBL’s strong alumni network in fundraising activities
• Manage prospect meetings by EMBL senior management, Fundraising Board members and project experts
• Perform other related duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience
Applicants must be able to demonstrate senior experience and success in major gift fundraising, ideally in the academic/scientific sector. They must be able to self-sufficiently take on the duties and responsibilities described above.
Required qualifications and experience:
• Meaningful experience and a track record of sustained success with major gift fundraising, ideally in a leading position
• Familiarity with techniques of major donor identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship
• Ability to develop and execute fundraising strategies that integrate into the organisation´s mission
• Maturity, poise and interpersonal sensitivity to comfortably interact with high level donor
• Open and engaging personality that combines the ability to lead with the skill to effectively work with others in a team
• Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and to represent the organisation in a positive manner at all times
• Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken
• Effectively handle multiple priorities, organise workload and meet deadlines
• Ability to handle conflict situations effectively and resolving differences through dialogue and open communication
• Ability to lead, influence and coach staff to meet both their career and the organisation´s goals
• Relevant university degree (BA/BSc or MA/MSc) or equivalent practical experience
• Fluency in English and German is required for this role. Any additional language (especially French) would be advantageous
• Experience in working in an international setting is desirable
• Training in a life science discipline is beneficial
Please apply online through www.embl.org/jobs, sending your application in English.
General inquiries may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises from a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including your family.
Please note that appointments on fixed term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review.